Apr 23, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
UPDATE: Well, this is going on with him.
8:23 AM: The Phillies cut Dontrelle Willis in spring training and he signed a minor league deal with the Orioles. He had been on the minor legaue disabled list with the O’s, but rather than activated when that was over, the Orioles put him on the restricted list.
What gives, Steve Melewski of MASN?
When asked if Willis is healthy enough to pitch now, a club official said, “Yes,” but would not comment on exactly why Willis is on the restricted list. I’ll make an assumption here that everything is not smooth for some reason right now between Willis and the club …
That’s a little troubling. And it can’t help but make one remember that he missed a lot of time with the Tigers over some strange, non-specific anxiety disorder that, at various times, Willis said he didn’t have but which compelled the team to put him on the DL and/or the restricted list anyway.
Is this that again? Something else? It’s nothing we’d care that much about with most any other player, but with Willis — an engaging, colorful player who went from so good to so bad so quickly — I can’t help but wonder and can’t help but be concerned.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)