Apr 24, 2012, 3:02 PM EST
Our friend Bill from The Platoon Advantage turned into an old fart at some point in the last week. Specifically in reference to radical ideas about how to optimize pitching staffs and stuff:
I suppose it happens in baseball just as everywhere else, doesn’t it? You get older, you gain experience, and you start to realize that most “revolutionary” ideas are revolutionary because they’re stupid. If they were any good, somebody would be doing it by now. But they’re not any good, so no one is … while revolutionary thinking is good and productive, the vast majority of ideas that come out of it are not. And most, but certainly not all, traditional ways of doing things are done that way for a pretty good reason. The round-table, twelve-men-with-no-starters pitching staff addresses all sorts of real issues, but creates all sorts of bigger problems. The real gains to be made are in the margins, small adjustments here and there, incremental improvements.
He’s right, I think. Which probably makes me an old fart too. But whatever.
Oh well. It’s a good read with some good ideas to keep in your back pocket the next time someone claims that baseball minds have been doing dumb things for the past 150 years.
Now get off Bill’s lawn.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)