Apr 24, 2012, 4:46 PM EST
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Pelfrey has “right elbow swelling” and will undergo an MRI exam instead of making his next start, with general manager Sandy Alderson saying that the team hasn’t ruled out a torn ligament.
In other words: Not good.
Pelfrey pitched well through three starts with a 2.29 ERA and 13/4 K/BB ratio in 20 innings, including eight innings of one-run ball against the Giants on Saturday. No word yet on who’ll replace Pelfrey in the rotation, as his next scheduled start is Friday in Colorado.
Pelfrey is making $5.68 million this season and will be arbitration eligible again next year, but a significant injury would likely end his Mets career.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)