Apr 24, 2012, 4:46 PM EST
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that Pelfrey has “right elbow swelling” and will undergo an MRI exam instead of making his next start, with general manager Sandy Alderson saying that the team hasn’t ruled out a torn ligament.
In other words: Not good.
Pelfrey pitched well through three starts with a 2.29 ERA and 13/4 K/BB ratio in 20 innings, including eight innings of one-run ball against the Giants on Saturday. No word yet on who’ll replace Pelfrey in the rotation, as his next scheduled start is Friday in Colorado.
Pelfrey is making $5.68 million this season and will be arbitration eligible again next year, but a significant injury would likely end his Mets career.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)