Apr 24, 2012, 8:01 PM EST
Mike Pelfrey has gone from active to disabled to potentially out for the season in just a few hours.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, the right-hander is scheduled to be examined by Dr. James Andrews at some point this week amid concerns that he might have a partial tear in his right ulnar collateral ligament.
If a UCL tear is the confirmed diagnosis, the likely course of action will be Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. Which will sideline Pelfrey through the early part of the 2013 campaign.
Pelfrey, 28, had registered a 2.29 ERA in 19 2/3 innings this season. Chris Schwinden is expected to be called up from Triple-A Buffalo on Friday to fill the sudden vacancy in the Mets’ starting rotation.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)