Apr 24, 2012, 8:01 PM EDT
Mike Pelfrey has gone from active to disabled to potentially out for the season in just a few hours.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, the right-hander is scheduled to be examined by Dr. James Andrews at some point this week amid concerns that he might have a partial tear in his right ulnar collateral ligament.
If a UCL tear is the confirmed diagnosis, the likely course of action will be Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. Which will sideline Pelfrey through the early part of the 2013 campaign.
Pelfrey, 28, had registered a 2.29 ERA in 19 2/3 innings this season. Chris Schwinden is expected to be called up from Triple-A Buffalo on Friday to fill the sudden vacancy in the Mets’ starting rotation.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 7
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 35
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 73
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)