More bad news for Philly: Hunter Pence is hurting

Apr 24, 2012, 11:00 AM EST

He can't believe it either. AP

Hunter Pence hurt his shoulder while diving for a ball during Sunday’s game in San Diego and, as a result, was out of the lineup against the Dbacks last night. He’s listed as day-to-day, but there are some rumblings that this could be more severe. He has yet to have a doctor look at it, so it’s hard to say.

While Pence was slumping before the injury, it’s also true that he’s one of the only legitimate threats in that lineup at the moment, so his loss for any amount of time would be a pretty big blow to a team that is already in an offensive crisis.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I love em’ and will continue to watch every painful inning of every painful game, but they are phucked.

• mox19380 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:10 AM

agree with you monkeyarmy. w/pence we we’re in some trouble, w/o we are in deep

• proudlycanadian - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Would they be willing to trade Doc back to the Jays?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Sure…on the second Tuesday of never.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Doc originally wanted to join Philadelphia because he wanted to be on a winning team with a chance to play in the World Series. They blew their chance last year and appear to be heading downwards. At this point, the upstart Jays probably have a better chance to play in the World Series during the remainder of his contract. We would be happy to have him back. We could offer Drabek, d’Arnaud and Gosse in return.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Edit function: Gose

• Utley's Hair - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM

NinJr needs to do something, but I doubt it includes shipping Doc anywhere. Now, there’s no guarantee that the Jedi master hasn’t done something already, either, but even for him, keeping a Doc move quiet would be next to impossible..

• Utley's Hair - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I’ll be right there with you. Well, not RIGHT there with you—different places watching on different TVs, with different people—but right there with you.

2. phillyphreak - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM

RAJ- author of “How not to approach free agency”

3. philly56 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Seems like a good time to develop an interest in hockey.
    Flyers ftw!!!

4. ame123 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM

To all the bandwagon jumpers who are ready to jump off, please don’t come crawling back when the team is running away with the division in August.

• phillyphreak - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Can I at least have my hand stamped for reentry?

• ame123 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:48 PM

No, just a footprint on your behind. Deal?

• phillyphreak - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Wait where does the footprint come from? I thought I was jumping off but I’m actually being kicked off? And this implies that I”m standing and not sitting right? Otherwise the footprint would be on my back and not my behind.

But if I jump off and break my legs, wouldn’t I be crawling back? I hardly see how I could be walking back. I guess the broken legs would be enough of a proof that I was once on the bandwagon but the hand stamp would be conclusive. That way I could prove once and for all that I only began watching baseball and the Phillies in October of 2008.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Since when is pointing out obvious flaws with the team as currently constructed “bandwagon” jumping. Sorry for trying to have at least a tad bit of objectivity. The mentality that one has to kiss their teams ass no matter what or they are not “true” fans is asinine.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Furthermore, any notion that they are going to run away with the division should be put to rest. I’m not saying they won’t put things together and make a charge like they have done before. However, the division is too good…it is going to go down to the wire.

5. Jonny 5 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM

“offensive crisis”

That sums it up pretty well I think.

6. rastaraider - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Who cares

• ezthinking - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:02 PM

you do apparently

• Utley's Hair - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Well, you obviously cared enough to click, read (presumably), sign in and comment on a post titled quite clearly.

Oh, and Phillies Phans care, so there’s that.

7. greymares - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM

they’re 17 games into the season. I REFUSE TO EVALUATE, until they’re 80 games in

8. xmatt0926x - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM

To Ame123, as someone else has already stated, you don’t need to be a blind loyalist to be a real fan. To see the obvious failings of the team do not make you a bandwagon jumper. I have this argument with a fellow long-time Phillies fan all the time. I don’t think Ruben Amaro is anything special as a GM and I’ve stated that on this site many times. The Howard contract was horrible and I’ve said that from when it was first signed. It was way too soon and ignored some obvious trends. The GM moves I really like to watch are the smaller moves that require insight into your own players trends and the trends of the game as a whole. Ruben has said he’s not a “stats guy” and I think his moves clearly show that. He can’t control the Utley situation but overall he has locked this team up with poor offensive players and a horrific bench. I hope the Phillies win 2 more titles and ruben is named GM of the century but I think in the end of this era he will be just another fired GM who was nothing special. If you line up all his moves as GM the lousy signings far outweigh any good moves. As far as the teams hopes of recovering this year I think it will be tough to win the division unless there are some miracle changes coming or some miracle turnarounds by this lineup. Everyone talks about waiting for Utley to come back as if he will be the on base percentage and power guy he was in the past. Why does anynoe think that guy is ever coming back again? Even when he came back last year his power was sapped and now he has this issue in BOTH knees! I have only heard the horror stories of this injury but nothing to say it can be overcome so I’m not sure why expectations are so high for him to be any more than a spark here and there. Howard will help but will it be enough to drag the rest of this putrid lineup up? I don’t think so. I don’t think anyone will run away with the division but a wildcard might be the only hope for this team this year. Pray that Pence isn’t out for any extended time. This year just looks doomed so far.

9. randygnyc - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Yankees should trade for doc. We’ll send you swisher and one of the killer B’s. Get er done. Demand a trade, Doc.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester