Apr 24, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Jason Bay left the second game of yesterday’s doubleheader after injuring his ribs attempting a diving catch and today the Mets put him on the disabled list with a non-displaced fracture.
No timetable yet for his return, but at the very least a non-displaced fracture is better than a displaced fracture and Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that surgery likely won’t be necessary.
Bay has been such a huge disappointment since signing a four-year, $66 million deal with the Mets two offseasons ago that losing him to the DL may not seem like much of a loss at all, but he’s actually tied for the team lead with three homers and has posted a solid .776 OPS in 15 games.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)