Apr 24, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
If the Orioles have a ninth-inning lead tonight the save chance won’t go to Jim Johnson, as the closer went to the hospital early this morning with flu symptoms.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun notes that the flu bug has been making its way through the Orioles’ clubhouse recently, so hopefully Johnson won’t miss more than a day or two.
It’s rough timing for Johnson, as he’s taken extremely well to the full-time closing gig and has saved a league-leading seven games in eight scoreless appearances. Presumably any save chances will go to Matt Lindstrom rather than Kevin Gregg, although both have previous closing experience.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 37
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105