Apr 24, 2012, 5:44 PM EDT
If the Orioles have a ninth-inning lead tonight the save chance won’t go to Jim Johnson, as the closer went to the hospital early this morning with flu symptoms.
Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun notes that the flu bug has been making its way through the Orioles’ clubhouse recently, so hopefully Johnson won’t miss more than a day or two.
It’s rough timing for Johnson, as he’s taken extremely well to the full-time closing gig and has saved a league-leading seven games in eight scoreless appearances. Presumably any save chances will go to Matt Lindstrom rather than Kevin Gregg, although both have previous closing experience.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)