Philip Humber excused from White Sox for birth of child

Apr 24, 2012, 9:24 PM EDT

philip humber getty Getty Images

Philip Humber is experiencing a life-changing April.

On Saturday in Seattle he tossed the 21st perfect game in major league history, improving to 1-0 with a 0.63 ERA through his first 14 1/3 innings this season. And now the 29-year-old right-hander is preparing to welcome a big addition to his family.

According to Mark D. Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune, Humber was excused from the White Sox on Tuesday to be with his wife as she enters labor.

Humber is expected to return to the White Sox in time for his scheduled Thursday start against the Red Sox.

A former first-round pick out of Rice University in Texas, how owns a 3.90 ERA in 56 career outings (30 starts).

1. jlovenotjlo - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:32 PM

• jlovenotjlo - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM

On top of the world

2. mreale77 - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Good for him!

3. georgia - Apr 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM

This is just cool. There’s no better or more simple way to say it.

Although raising a child might be a little (littllleee) more difficult than throwing a perfect game. I’m not a father, but that’s just my guess.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Perhaps. But there’s been more than 21 fathers in the MLB. Just sayin’…….

• 18thstreet - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:24 AM

You know what? I’m a father, and my wife runs a day care out of our house (taking care of our two kids plus three others). It’s hard work. Damn hard work. But this elevation of the stay-at-home mom/dad — “It’s the hardest job in the world!” is preposterous. My wife and I have talked about this. She was executive director of a small nonprofit before, and she was FAR more stressed in that role than this one.

Parenting isn’t for everyone. And the first three months, when the baby isn’t really sleeping and you’re worried that s/he’s not gaining weight far enough, those are really hard. But if it was the hardest job in the world there would be a lot fewer kids. Being a parent is terrific. There’s days that are very hard — weeks, too.

I couldn’t be happier for him. Just a great story.

4. fearlessleader - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Congratulations! If it’s a boy, maybe they’ll name him Brendan Ryan Humber.

• thomas2727 - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Or possibly Brian Runge Humber

• ezthinking - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Or maybe dickhead fearlessleader.

• fearlessleader - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Well! That seems uncalled for.

Also, I’d hate to saddle a kid with that name—“Hey, Dickhead Fearlessleader, it’s time for dinner!” “So, Dickhead Fearlessleader, do you want to hear the story of how your awesome daddy pitched a perfect game the week before you were born?” “Now batting for your 2038 White Sox: Dickhead Fearlessleader Humber!” Yikes.

My idea was better.

• fearlessleader - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:53 AM

In all seriousness, I don’t know why you’re so angry. I think Humber’s the bomb and I rooted for his perfecto all the way. No need for name-calling. Cheers.

• ezthinking - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Then why try to run don his accomplishment?

• fearlessleader - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:16 AM

What? By making a silly joke about naming his kid after the guy who struck out to cement his place in history? This is dumb. I’m going to bed. Goodnight!

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Fearless, just ignore ez…he’s a bit of an idiot.

• fearlessleader - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM

He’s mad because I called him “bellignorant” last week…… :)

5. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Pretty good week for Mr Humber!

6. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

That’s pretty awesome. Life is good, eh Phil?

7. sasquash20 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

wow talk about a great week. Good luck Humber on being a dad. I hope the baby is happy and healthy. You will realize soon enough that the perfect game while amazing is nothing compared to being a dad.

8. jwbiii - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I wish you all a week as wonderful as Philip Humber had.

By the way, I read or heard that the first call he made after the game was to his wife and the first thing he said wasn’t “Did you see what I just did?” but “Did you have our baby?” He seems to have his priorities in order.

9. ezthinking - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Funny how so many slammed pitching coach Don Cooper this spring when he said he didn’t need biomechanics to know how a pitcher needed to pitch to avoid injury, http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/quote-of-the-day-don-cooper-dont-need-to-think-about-no-stinkin-biomechanics/ but he now has TWO pitchers in the last 3 years to throw perfect games.

• paperlions - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Yeah, because Cooper’s awesomeness is why those two games happened (which happened over 4 years, not 3)…it had nothing to do with the pitchers themselves being highly skilled or the vagaries of chance.

• jwbiii - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I’ll go with “vagaries of chance” for the perfect games.

White Sox pitchers have been unusually healthy over the past few seasons, haven’t they? Hanging with Mr. Cooper seems like a good way to stay off the DL.

10. cleverbob - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Pitch a perfect game and you think you’re entitled to being present for the birth of your child. Talk about getting a big head, Hollywood Humber…

/sarcasm

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3287)