Ryan Howard to be off baseball activities one more week; Pence to have an MRI

Apr 24, 2012, 2:00 PM EST

Ryan Howard rehabbing Reuters

The Phillies announced that they’re going to keep Ryan Howard from baseball activities for one more week today. Ruben Amaro:

“Howard’s wound has gotten smaller and is healing. We’ve been advised to limit his activities for one more week to allow it to continue to heal. We hope that he will be able to re-start his baseball activities thereafter.”

There had been hope that he’d be cleared now, but no dice.

In other news, Hunter Pence is going to have a “precautionary MRI” on his bum shoulder today.  The results should be released later this afternoon.

In other other news, I really want these guys and Chase Utley to get better soon. Two reasons: (1) injuries suck, even when they’re to guys on teams you don’t root for; and (2) It’s no fun trolling Phillies fans when they’re more morose about the team than I am.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM

“In other news today, the entire 25-man Phillies roster went on the DL today.”

Get well soon, all of the Phillies.

2. Utley's Hair - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM

—Sigh—

• ajcardsfan - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I had two of my fantasy players go one the DL as soon as the season started, one is back (BJ Upton) and now I’m just waiting for Mr. Utley to recover and come back, I could sign trade him on Waivers, but I’ve got a feeling he’ll be a dynamo come mid to late season.

3. antlerclaws - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Torn Achilles tendon sucks. I tore mine 3 years ago and still gimp around after any physical activity, and that’s after going through months in a boot, and it has be re-injured several times while hardly doing anything, so I can’t believe he’s even trying to come back this early.

• chadjones27 - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM

No offense to you or your medical coverage, but these guys get the best care out there and are probably under constant supervision by a physical therapist.

• ezthinking - Apr 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Dominique Wilkins blew an Achilles in January ’92 and made it back the following fall – 8 months later – and was slowed from there. Howard is 6 months out, plus a nasty infection to boot, the Phills can’t expect too much from him. A slip chasing a foul ball or stepping on a bag has to be a HUGE worry. The Phills may have just become the Twins.

4. mdpickles - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Well, I always knew it would be bad if it got to this point, but here we are. Rube, you got my phone number. 2B, 3B, OF. Waiting patiently for your call ;-)

5. ss - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:18 PM

You know what’s crazy? That Ryan Howard has a “wound.” Jesus. It’s like someone gouged his ankle with a Swiss Army knife.

• ezthinking - Apr 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Staph infection is flesh eating. Nasty stuff. ESPN the mag did an article on it how is can get passed around a locker room, NBA and NFL were the primary parts of the story. Here’s the article picture. http://mrsatopic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ESPN-magazine-Staph-infection-picture.jpg Yuck.

6. sasquash20 - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:05 AM

We need Howard back in the worst way. I hope he can come back and give us something this season. He is the only legit clean up hitter we have. It would balance the line up way better that is for sure. Pence is better suited to hit 3rd or 5th. It is going to be a long season in Philly this year. I kind of wish we signed a cheaper closer, then used the extra money to go after Cuddyer. Oh well it is what it is.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester