Apr 24, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman hasn’t played since Friday because of soreness in his right shoulder. And there’s a chance his absence could last far longer.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Zimmerman is scheduled to have an MRI Tuesday night on his ailing throwing shoulder, with Nationals manager Davey Johnson fearing that the 27-year-old third baseman has suffered a muscle tear.
Zimmerman can field and make throws without pain, but he feels discomfort when swinging a bat.
The $100 million man has posted a .224/.324/.345 batting line, one home run and seven RBI in 15 games this season. Steve Lombardozzi started at third base in Tuesday’s series-opener against the Padres.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)