Apr 24, 2012, 10:18 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman hasn’t played since Friday because of soreness in his right shoulder. And there’s a chance his absence could last far longer.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Zimmerman is scheduled to have an MRI Tuesday night on his ailing throwing shoulder, with Nationals manager Davey Johnson fearing that the 27-year-old third baseman has suffered a muscle tear.
Zimmerman can field and make throws without pain, but he feels discomfort when swinging a bat.
The $100 million man has posted a .224/.324/.345 batting line, one home run and seven RBI in 15 games this season. Steve Lombardozzi started at third base in Tuesday’s series-opener against the Padres.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)