Apr 24, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman hasn’t played since Friday because of soreness in his right shoulder. And there’s a chance his absence could last far longer.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Zimmerman is scheduled to have an MRI Tuesday night on his ailing throwing shoulder, with Nationals manager Davey Johnson fearing that the 27-year-old third baseman has suffered a muscle tear.
Zimmerman can field and make throws without pain, but he feels discomfort when swinging a bat.
The $100 million man has posted a .224/.324/.345 batting line, one home run and seven RBI in 15 games this season. Steve Lombardozzi started at third base in Tuesday’s series-opener against the Padres.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)