Apr 24, 2012, 10:18 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman hasn’t played since Friday because of soreness in his right shoulder. And there’s a chance his absence could last far longer.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Zimmerman is scheduled to have an MRI Tuesday night on his ailing throwing shoulder, with Nationals manager Davey Johnson fearing that the 27-year-old third baseman has suffered a muscle tear.
Zimmerman can field and make throws without pain, but he feels discomfort when swinging a bat.
The $100 million man has posted a .224/.324/.345 batting line, one home run and seven RBI in 15 games this season. Steve Lombardozzi started at third base in Tuesday’s series-opener against the Padres.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 43
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 31
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 50
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)