Apr 24, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
Stephen Drew‘s surgically repaired ankle felt good enough over the weekend that he was able to go through what Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic described as “a hard workout at Chase Field that included extensive time on the basepaths.”
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson revealed that Drew felt “a little sore” after the weekend workout, but in general seemed pretty optimistic about the shortstop’s status:
He actually bounced back real well so I’m encouraged at the pace and the rate he’s bouncing back. He looks much stronger and he seems to bounce back much quicker.
There’s still no timetable yet for Drew’s return and he hasn’t played since breaking his ankle last July, but at least he’s finally making some significant progress.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24