Apr 24, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Stephen Drew‘s surgically repaired ankle felt good enough over the weekend that he was able to go through what Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic described as “a hard workout at Chase Field that included extensive time on the basepaths.”
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson revealed that Drew felt “a little sore” after the weekend workout, but in general seemed pretty optimistic about the shortstop’s status:
He actually bounced back real well so I’m encouraged at the pace and the rate he’s bouncing back. He looks much stronger and he seems to bounce back much quicker.
There’s still no timetable yet for Drew’s return and he hasn’t played since breaking his ankle last July, but at least he’s finally making some significant progress.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris