Apr 24, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Shoulda sold high.
The Braves demoted Jair Jurrjens to Triple-A Gwinnett last night after he gave up five runs on nine hits in three innings to the Dodgers. It was the worst in a series of bad starts to kick off the season for Jurrjens, who now stands with a 9.37 ERA and has given up 30 hits and has walked ten in 16.1 innings.
While he has been effective — sometimes quite effective — at times over the past couple of years, Jurrjens has always lived on the edge due to a low strikeout rate. This, combined with wear and tear of a couple of injury-marred seasons and overall workload is likely catching up with him. The Braves probably realized this at some point in the past year, as there have been frequent rumors that they were shopping him.
Now, however, he’s pretty unshoppable. The best they can hope for is that he turns it around in Gwinnett enough to where it makes sense to showcase him for a trade again. That is, if he gets the chance. Tim Hudson is going to be activated soon and will fall into a rotation that doesn’t have much room for Jurrjens. So it could be a while before we see him again.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 42
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut