Apr 24, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
Shoulda sold high.
The Braves demoted Jair Jurrjens to Triple-A Gwinnett last night after he gave up five runs on nine hits in three innings to the Dodgers. It was the worst in a series of bad starts to kick off the season for Jurrjens, who now stands with a 9.37 ERA and has given up 30 hits and has walked ten in 16.1 innings.
While he has been effective — sometimes quite effective — at times over the past couple of years, Jurrjens has always lived on the edge due to a low strikeout rate. This, combined with wear and tear of a couple of injury-marred seasons and overall workload is likely catching up with him. The Braves probably realized this at some point in the past year, as there have been frequent rumors that they were shopping him.
Now, however, he’s pretty unshoppable. The best they can hope for is that he turns it around in Gwinnett enough to where it makes sense to showcase him for a trade again. That is, if he gets the chance. Tim Hudson is going to be activated soon and will fall into a rotation that doesn’t have much room for Jurrjens. So it could be a while before we see him again.
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 3
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 66
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (113)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)