The Royals have “dumped a steaming pile of crap on the curb”

Apr 24, 2012, 11:32 AM EDT

Royals logo

You know who I like a lot?  Rany Jazayerli. I’ve met him a couple of times and he’s a great dude. I’ve been reading his stuff forever, both at Baseball Prospectus and at his own outlets. Some of my favorite stuff of his, however, came back in the day when he and Rob Neyer used to do a back and forth called “Rob and Rany on the Royals” over at Rob’s personal website.

Rob, by then, had grown pretty cranky about his Royals. Rany, on the other hand, always seemed to look on the bright side.  He still does that better than most team-specific bloggers, even though he never ceases to be realistic. His criticism, while often sharp, is never spiteful or dismissive. He wants the Royals to be good and thinks they can be one day.

Which is why his latest missive is so … jarring:

Nearly six years after Dayton Moore was hired, in a year when the Royals were themselves so certain that they were going to take a step forward that they boldly unveiled the “OUR TIME” motto, the team has dumped a steaming pile of crap on the curb. Ten straight losses, and even worse, nine of them have come at home. The Royals have the worst record in baseball. Playoff dreams have been extinguished, and it’s still April.

And I’ll confess: I’m this close to losing it.

Royals: if you’ve lost Rany Jazayerli, you’ve lost everyone.  This is just … horrible.  And Rany explains why.  In total it makes for a pretty good case for the firing of Ned Yost. Or else it would if the front office doesn’t seem to be right on board with Yost’s strategies.

But maybe it’s not all bad. Sports Illustrated has them seventh in their Power Rankings. And no, I’m not making that up.

Sure, there’s a major caveat here: those rankings are based on WAR and what may happen in the future, not on what has gone on so far. That said, any ranking system that has the Kansas City Royals 7th at this point probably needs to think hard about what its mission in life truly is and whether it’s actually carrying it out.

1. proudlycanadian - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Yost was out managed in the 4 losses to the Jays and certainly a change is in order before they become contenders; however, they do have a nucleus of talented young players and will probably end their losing streak in Cleveland. Unfortunately, they have not hit well with runners in scoring position. This should improve. It is far too early to write them off.

2. stex52 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM

And the Astros are rated 16th. Who thinks they will finish there? They will no doubt find a couple of gems among their young players, but these stats reflect more the fact that we are still looking at a very small sample of the year.

3. dowhatifeellike - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM

If the Twins, Royals, and Astros aren’t competing for the cellar, the power ranking doesn’t hold water.

4. l0yalr0yal - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Ugh.

Rany is always a good read. But this is getting out of hand. Why pretend like we, as Royals fans, have never been here before? We are experts on underachieving and disappointment. What’s different about this year? It was that stupid “Our Time” slogan that marketing released. Everyone hopped on board with it. Every tweet regarding Royals baseball ended with #OurTime, from players to management to coaches.

I know it’s frustrating. I know this first hand. Glass refuses to spend money, so what do you want from the team? What do people want from Ned Yost (other than to recall Johnny Giovatella)? What can he possibly do? Maybe we’re not winning games, and it’s pretty obvious we’re in a bit of a slump, but I’m damn proud of those guys. That’s my team. Those are my players. Those are my coaches. They don’t like losing any more than I like watching them lose. They’re not out there with their thumbs up their butts, they’re doing the best that they can with what they have. If you have a team that refuses to spend money, and you can field some exciting young prospects, I’m for it. Sure, they’ll go off and sign big contracts elsewhere, and everyone will be wearing their jerseys, but as a fan, I’m priviledged to be here with them during their struggles, and during their breakouts. I’m not going to root for a big market team because they win baseball games. I’m going to root for my team.

Fans are so pissed right now. So, so very pissed. I can honestly say, if David Glass walked into my office right now, I’d punch his face off. But I’m not the type to throw everything out the window. I’d throw DG out my window, that’s about it. I know this comment is scattered all over the place, I guess I’m just asking the question “Why is this suddenly the year everyone abandones the Royals?” This isn’t our first slow start. If it keeps up, this won’t be our first losing season. If you’re a Royals “fan” that’s thinking about hopping off the bandwagon, please just go. You’re just one less half-assed tool that I will run into at Kauffman. I’ll be there while this team sucks, I’ll be there when they’re great, and there’s no doubt in my mind that they will be again someday.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Good sentiments, and I’m being sincere. KC is a nice town Kaufman a beautiful and friendly stadium. Will be there the weekend after next, so if you hear “An ABomb from ARod” screamed from somewhere, come over and I’ll buy you a beer. White Yankees cap and ARod t-shirt.

• 18thstreet - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Oh, Len. I really liked you. But if you like Michael Kay, my quiet admiration is out the window.

Say it ain’t so, guy I’ve never met!

• wendell7 - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Um, it’s not Michael Kay, it’s John Sterling that popularized that home run call.

But Kauffman is beautiful, none the less.

• 18thstreet - Apr 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Whoops. I hate them both, but I forgot it was Sterling who does that crap.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Leave John Sterling alone!! Michael Kay you can bother.
        There’s beauty in a poorly called game- keeps your mind stimulated to figure out what really happened.

• Victor's Secret - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Truly, it’s those bandwagon Royal fans that give baseball fans a bad name. I bet they can’t even tell Humberto Quintero from Everett Teaford.

• sportsdrenched.com - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:45 PM

It’s not just the prospect of another summer of 100 loss baseball in Kansas City. I’m used to that. In 05 and 06 we knew the team would be terrible and planned accordingly.

This year there were expectations. There were expectations from people that were non Royals stake holders. This year we are looking at the first returns from the first crop raised in the best farm in baseball. The returns are earth shatteringly crappy. Not just a little, HISTORICAL.

Don’t tell me I have to be patient. Or that I’m some less of a fan because I’m not patient anymore. The fact that this team makes me mad says enough about my patients.

As a Royals fan and blogger I’ve always read Rany’s stuff looking for a ray of hope, because if anyone can find it he could. If he’s about to bail, I’m about to bail. There isn’t anymore hope. I mean there might hope that the Royals find a way to win 50 baseball games this year. But I have no hope that this organization can field a winning team under the current administration, and by administration I mean ownership. Sell the team, contract the team, move the team. I’m that close to not caring.

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I read your stuff on the I-70 baseball blog. I think you’re a fine blogger. With all due respect, this comment leads me to believe you’re turning in to one of those people I’d rather not see at Kauffman.

Who set these expectations that you mention? ESPN, HardballTalk, your twitter followers, or maybe your blog network? And now, “if Rany’s about to bail, you’re about to bail”? Have some conviction. As a fan, follower, enthusiast, or whatever you are, you should be able to formulate your own opinions. Don’t tell me that with our rotation, you expected big things. With blockbuster names like Bruce Chen, Luke Hochevar, Jonathan Sanchez, Luis Mendoza, and Danny Duffy, it’s really a stretch to ask for much more than .500, if you can ask for that.

I ask for high-character individuals. I ask for guys that work hard and love the game. I ask for guys that don’t quit and expect to make themselves better. If we win some games, that’s great. But if you’ve been around Kansas City baseball, surely you’re familiar with finding things other than the win-loss column to enjoy about the team. Surely you’re familiar with the character of Jeff Francouer, or the charities Alex Gordon and Billy Butler established and regularly donate to. Surely you’re familiar with Eric Hosmer’s deep involvement with the Big Brothers/ Big Sisters program. Surely you’re familiar with all of the guys coming down to my city of Joplin after we got ripped apart.

If you’re going to be a fan of a team that loses as many baseball games as we do, you’ve got to look deeper than the stats. It’s the city. It’s Kauffman stadium. It’s the cheap tickets. It’s the atmosphere. It’s “Firework Fridays” with your family. It’s letting your children run the bases after Sunday games. If all you care about is that win-loss column, you’re bitter and I don’t like you.

Now, of course I completely agree with not being able to field a winning team under our current ownership. I don’t see it changing anytime soon. If that’s what makes you hate an entire organization, shame on you.

However, to me, it sounds like you follow the people that follow the Royals more than you follow the Royals. If you’re a fan— be a fan. Don’t be persuaded by whoever you follow on twitter. Like I said, I have read your stuff and you’re an intelligent guy. You do just fine as a blogger. Take a minute to reevaluate what you’re doing here.

• mcs7584 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM

“I can honestly say, if David Glass walked into my office right now, I’d punch his face off.”

I sure hope your boss doesn’t read that or you might be out of a job. Because I can honestly say the only sane people who still believe in The Process must work in the Royals front office.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I sure hope your boss doesn’t read that or you might be out of a job

• mybrunoblog - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Maybe HE IS the boss.

5. yankeesfanlen - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Just bye-the-bye Craig, where are our “Monday Power Rankings”?

6. mybrunoblog - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Hold on I just checked….Yep, just as I suspected. The MLB standings count more than the Sports Illustrated power rankings.

• dwrek5 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:43 PM

The Royals are winning the WAR, but losing the battle… Too much?

• stex52 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM

No, actually, I rather like it. Wish I had thought of it first.

• bsbiz - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I see what you did there.

7. metalhead65 - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I get blasted on here all the time because I don’t worship saber metrics but now I see that the royals are ranked in the top 10 based on a saber metric?lmao! and that is why I continue to watch and enjoy my baseball the old fashined way thank you very much! no small sample excuses or any other excuses trying to justify it they used one your more precious stats to base their rankings on it so deal with it. in the meantime those of us who watch the players and the games know that Kansas City sucks royally and are quite possibly the worst team in baseball. again do not waste your time insulting and preaching stat ball with me as I do not give a damn.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Except here’s the difference between you and the rest of us. You just loudly proclaim them as bunk, without understanding why or caring how. The rest of us try to figure out the why’s and how’s, and know exactly why the Royals ranking is faulty (Hint, it’s all over twitter right now).

• paperlions - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Yeah, someone using a stat in a completely inappropriate fashion to mean something it wasn’t designed to mean is a just reason to completely ignore the stat.

and god damn it can we get some small sample size protection around here?

8. yarguy - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I tried to find a stat on runners left on base because my impression after watching all four in the Jays series is that the Royals would be rather high but couldn’t (anyone who can direct me to it would be appreciated). I did find they lead in GDP (with 19) and that they have middle of the road OBP and OPS but near the bottom runs scored (actually next to last in the AL) and that would seem to confirm my impression. That might suggest that Yost hasn’t designed the line-up well or that players are just too inconsistent for there to be an effective line-up.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:42 PM

According to rany:

Batting –
      Royals: .255/.315/.413
      Opponents: .264/.341/.423

RISP:
      Royals – .236
      Opponents – .309

Also, Royals, at least lately, are making a ton of outs on the basepaths.

9. tmohr - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:01 PM

“In total it makes for a pretty good case for the firing of Ned Yost.”

Walking Kelly Johnson to face Jose Bautista, as Yost did in the 8th inning last Friday, is a firing offense in itself.

10. skids003 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:10 PM

AFter 20 games? I’ve seen teams come back from worse than this, its a long season. They aren’t as bad as they’ve played. And I’m not a KC fan. Don’t give up yet guys.

11. groundruledoublebourbon - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Great, great read from Rany. He says in the article that he’ll be taking a “time-out,” won’t be following or writing on the Royals much in the near future. I’ll sure miss his input, but definitely wish Mr. Jazayerli the best as he lives outside of the realm of the perpetually disappointed Royals Kingdom.

Sadly, I’ll continue holding court in said Kingdom.

• jwbiii - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM

definitely wish Mr. Jazayerli the bes

That’s Dr. Jazayerli.

He’s a great read and extremely well-informed on the Royals but his posts make Joe Posnanski look like Edward Lear.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Honestly, his best stuff in my opinion has been the non-baseball stuff he occasionally posts. This one on Abd El-Kader and the Massacre of Damascus (1), or this one on the protests in Egypt (2), or this one on 9/11 (3)

1 – http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2010/07/abd-el-kader-and-massacre-of-damascus.html

2 – http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2011/02/roots-of-revolution.html

3 – http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2011/09/ten-years-later.html

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Also his 9/11 piece for espn.com which I should have included as well

• jwbiii - Apr 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I’ll certainly agree with the Abd al Kader piece.

12. yahmule - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Yost is horrible, but not much worse than about a dozen other horrible managers in MLB.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM

As mentioned above, he walked someone to face Jose Bautista. That needs to be repeated.

He walked someone to face the guy who’s lead MLB in HR the last two years, and last year lead MLB in SLG.

• mcs7584 - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:49 PM

And not much worse than any likely replacement. Look back at the last few managers and tell me the organization would actually hire someone suitable in turning things around.

• sportsdrenched.com - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:13 PM

And this is why as long as the team has the current leardership the manager is irrelevant.

Trey Hillman had the same run-out-of-inning-bunt-at-any-opportunity strategy.

Chris Getz leading off? That’s pretty bad. The fact that Getz is still on the roster is on the front office/ownership.

13. schlom - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM

At least he can watch them on tv.

Signed,
    Padre fans who don’t want to switch to Direct tv

14. buddaley - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM

15. royalsfaninfargo - Apr 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

At least he didnt refer to them as a “little league team.”

16. Tyree Studio - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Before the season started I thought it was going to be fun, or at least not “work” being a Royals fan this year. Guess I was wrong.

I didn’t think this team was going to the postseason but I thought they’d at least play .450 or even maybe (if they caught some breaks) .500 ball. Shame on me. Another season of being the butt of jokes on Letterman, Leno, ESPN and HBT.

I’ve been a fan for 25 years, and I always will be, but it’s just seems hopeless.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2648)