Twins to skip struggling Francisco Liriano in rotation

Apr 24, 2012, 11:19 AM EST

Francisco Liriano Getty Images

Francisco Liriano struggled Sunday for the fourth time in four starts and the Twins have decided to make use of an off day on the schedule to skip his next turn in the rotation.

Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com reports that Liriano will remain on the active roster all week, but won’t see any game action. Instead he’ll throw bullpen sessions Thursday and Saturday in preparation for rejoining the rotation May 1 versus the Angels.

Liriano was a mess for most of last season, but he’s been even worse this year with an 11.02 ERA and more walks (13) than strikeouts (12) in 16 innings as his diminished velocity combines with his terrible command. Moving him to the bullpen or trying to force him to accept a demotion to Triple-A were the Twins’ other options, so skipping one turn in the rotation is certainly the least drastic measure … for now.

1. card0109 - Apr 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Now if we could only do something about Matt Capps. I’m getting tired of him giving up home runs in the 9th.

• kjkulsrud - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I by no means am a Matt Capps fan but he is 4-4 in save situations this season… while he hasn’t been nearly good… he has been serviceable as a closer.

• racksie - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Ummm….he did take the loss. While technically not a blown save, he took the loss. And I actually like the guy. We went through this with Everyday Eddie Guardado, too. I just think it’s always going to be an adventure with Capps. Now if he can get as many saves as Eddie…

• kjkulsrud - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Yep… he did take the loss, never said he didn’t. But I despise when people say that someone is a bad closer or imply that when they lose a game he’s a bad pitcher. I’m sick of Twins pitchers giving up homeruns period… but unfortunately there is really no one better to take that role in the 9th right now… and even though the closer “role” is vastly overrated, it’s the way it is in the league today.

• card0109 - Apr 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I’m definitely not a Capps hater. But I know that this is at least the second (if not third) game that I’ve listened to where he’s giving up home runs. When he’s hot, he’s great. But othertimes, I’m just dreading when I hear the Dan Gladden announce that Capps is getting the call.

2. racksie - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Should have traded that “ace” when he had value. The Twins have the option of offering him $12.5 million after the year, or he can opt for free agency. Who has the tougher decision? The Twins, or Liriano? I’m fairly certain Liriano does not have the mental fortitude to actually make this decision.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I can’t help but wonder if a different pitching coach couldn’t do wonders for this guy. I’m sure he is a head-case, but most pitchers are. I think being strikeout guy in the ultimate ‘pitch to contact’ system has probably royally screwed with his scrambled-egg brains.

• racksie - Apr 24, 2012 at 12:31 PM

As much as I want to disagree here, I can’t.

• ezthinking - Apr 24, 2012 at 1:08 PM

“pitch-to-contact” is really a farce. No one wants contact. It’s called throwing quality strikes. Liriano needs ‘control’ before he can have ‘command.’ He can’t pitch to contact because he has little idea where the ball is going.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4807)
  2. M. Kemp (3798)
  3. J. Kang (2978)
  4. M. Cabrera (2961)
  5. J. Upton (2724)
  1. M. Morse (2660)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2429)
  3. C. McGehee (2370)