Youth baseball coach goes nutzoid

Apr 24, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT

Crazy

There are no day games today and it’s a slow news day, so I read stuff like this about a Babe Ruth baseball coach:

A coach’s argument with an umpire on Friday escalated into the coach nearly hitting another man with his pickup truck and brandishing a handgun, according to charges filed in the case.

And then I think of that time the minor league manager threw a grenade. And I think that we’re kinder and gentler than we were a couple of years ago:

Oh well. Someone wake me up if something interesting happens in real life baseball.

(link via Deadspin) (anyone seen this?)

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I don’t think the world’s gone crazier – I just think we can hear about it from 100,000 more news outlets than we could 20-30 years ago.

I haven’t seen that movie, Craig. I think we should have a HBT movie night.

• jwbiii - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The only review I could find said it’s not good.

But the review has a King Kong Bundy reference in it, so there’s that.

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 24, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Only in Amurica.

3. The Baseball Idiot - Apr 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Must all the umpire’s fault.

Just wanted to get that in before everyone else does.

Because it’s always the umpires fault.

Did you know the plague was the fault of umpires because they failed to issue a warning to Typhoid Mary before she infected everyone?

Did you know World War I was the fault of the umpires because they refused to use instant replay to see who it was that actually shot the Archduke?

Yep, everything is the fault of the umpires.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 24, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Living up to your user name again, I see.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Well, please tell those damned umpires to take away your computer.

4. mkd - Apr 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

It’s entirely possible, according to the complaint, that you can mention your source, according to the complaint, maybe just one time at the beginning, according to the complaint, rather than after every sentence, according to the complaint.

At least that what the complaint says, according to the complaint.

• mcsnide - Apr 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Allegedly

5. bigleagues - Apr 24, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Roy Turner LIVES

6. yahmule - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I used to umpire and coach youth baseball when I was in my early 20s. Loved the kids, but hated the adults. Gave it up over 20 years ago and never looked back. I can’t imagine how much worse it must be now.

7. foreverchipper10 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I love this tantrum. My all-time fave.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5585)