Apr 25, 2012, 12:46 AM EDT
Albert Pujols went 0-for-4 as the Angels were shut out by the Rays 5-0 on Tuesday. He’s gone hitless in four straight games, matching a career high.
Pujols had five previous streaks of going hitless in four games, the last taking place from Aug. 30-Sept. 3, 2010.
Pujols has also gone eight straight games without an RBI, tying the fourth-longest streak of his career. He went 11 games without an RBI from June 27-July 13, 2001 and from May 15-26, 2010.
This isn’t the first time in his career that Pujols has gotten off to a rocky start, but since he’s with a new team, everything is magnified. If he doesn’t launch his first homer soon — he’s gone 69 at-bats without one — the scrutiny will grow exponentially.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)