Apr 25, 2012, 12:46 AM EDT
Albert Pujols went 0-for-4 as the Angels were shut out by the Rays 5-0 on Tuesday. He’s gone hitless in four straight games, matching a career high.
Pujols had five previous streaks of going hitless in four games, the last taking place from Aug. 30-Sept. 3, 2010.
Pujols has also gone eight straight games without an RBI, tying the fourth-longest streak of his career. He went 11 games without an RBI from June 27-July 13, 2001 and from May 15-26, 2010.
This isn’t the first time in his career that Pujols has gotten off to a rocky start, but since he’s with a new team, everything is magnified. If he doesn’t launch his first homer soon — he’s gone 69 at-bats without one — the scrutiny will grow exponentially.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 19
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 128
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (129)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)