Apr 25, 2012, 12:46 AM EDT
Albert Pujols went 0-for-4 as the Angels were shut out by the Rays 5-0 on Tuesday. He’s gone hitless in four straight games, matching a career high.
Pujols had five previous streaks of going hitless in four games, the last taking place from Aug. 30-Sept. 3, 2010.
Pujols has also gone eight straight games without an RBI, tying the fourth-longest streak of his career. He went 11 games without an RBI from June 27-July 13, 2001 and from May 15-26, 2010.
This isn’t the first time in his career that Pujols has gotten off to a rocky start, but since he’s with a new team, everything is magnified. If he doesn’t launch his first homer soon — he’s gone 69 at-bats without one — the scrutiny will grow exponentially.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)