Apr 25, 2012, 10:49 PM EDT
The Cards’ bench is about to get an upgrade.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, outfielder Allen Craig has been cleared to shift his minor league rehab assignment from High-A Palm Beach to Triple-A Memphis, the final step before rejoining the big league roster.
Craig has been on the disabled list since the start of the regular season due to November knee surgery, but he’s had full range of motion for well over a month and should be sufficiently geared up for major league at-bats as soon as he’s made active.
Craig, 27, batted .315/.362/.555 with 11 homers and 40 RBI in 75 games last summer before slugging four homers alongside a 1.013 OPS in the Cardinals’ magical postseason run. He should see regular action in right field this year on days when Carlos Beltran is either resting or feeling spry enough to play center.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)