Apr 25, 2012, 10:49 PM EDT
The Cards’ bench is about to get an upgrade.
According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, outfielder Allen Craig has been cleared to shift his minor league rehab assignment from High-A Palm Beach to Triple-A Memphis, the final step before rejoining the big league roster.
Craig has been on the disabled list since the start of the regular season due to November knee surgery, but he’s had full range of motion for well over a month and should be sufficiently geared up for major league at-bats as soon as he’s made active.
Craig, 27, batted .315/.362/.555 with 11 homers and 40 RBI in 75 games last summer before slugging four homers alongside a 1.013 OPS in the Cardinals’ magical postseason run. He should see regular action in right field this year on days when Carlos Beltran is either resting or feeling spry enough to play center.
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 0
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 5
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)