Apr 25, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
UPDATE: That was quick. Less than a week after claiming him off waivers the A’s designated Thompson for assignment, putting him back on the waiver wire following one appearance.
Thompson went from late-inning bullpen role to the waiver wire thanks to an ugly outing against the Twins on April 12, but prior to that the 27-year-old right-hander had a 2.57 ERA and 71/24 K/BB ratio in 74 innings for the Angels during the past two seasons.
He also has a solid Triple-A track record, so if nothing else Thompson is capable of being a useful middle reliever in Oakland.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 11
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)