Apr 25, 2012, 1:18 PM EDT
UPDATE: That was quick. Less than a week after claiming him off waivers the A’s designated Thompson for assignment, putting him back on the waiver wire following one appearance.
Thompson went from late-inning bullpen role to the waiver wire thanks to an ugly outing against the Twins on April 12, but prior to that the 27-year-old right-hander had a 2.57 ERA and 71/24 K/BB ratio in 74 innings for the Angels during the past two seasons.
He also has a solid Triple-A track record, so if nothing else Thompson is capable of being a useful middle reliever in Oakland.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 59
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (92)