Apr 25, 2012, 1:18 PM EST
UPDATE: That was quick. Less than a week after claiming him off waivers the A’s designated Thompson for assignment, putting him back on the waiver wire following one appearance.
Thompson went from late-inning bullpen role to the waiver wire thanks to an ugly outing against the Twins on April 12, but prior to that the 27-year-old right-hander had a 2.57 ERA and 71/24 K/BB ratio in 74 innings for the Angels during the past two seasons.
He also has a solid Triple-A track record, so if nothing else Thompson is capable of being a useful middle reliever in Oakland.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 10
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 28
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)