Apr 25, 2012, 1:18 PM EST
UPDATE: That was quick. Less than a week after claiming him off waivers the A’s designated Thompson for assignment, putting him back on the waiver wire following one appearance.
Thompson went from late-inning bullpen role to the waiver wire thanks to an ugly outing against the Twins on April 12, but prior to that the 27-year-old right-hander had a 2.57 ERA and 71/24 K/BB ratio in 74 innings for the Angels during the past two seasons.
He also has a solid Triple-A track record, so if nothing else Thompson is capable of being a useful middle reliever in Oakland.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 43
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 94
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (122)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)