Aubrey Huff placed on the DL with anxiety disorder

Apr 25, 2012, 5:39 PM EDT

huff_aubrey

Aubrey Huff has missed the past few Giants games with what was originally referred to as a “family emergency.”  It may be more complicated than that, however, as the Giants have placed him on the 15-day disabled list with anxiety disorder.

Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com reports that Huff is “getting treatment,” though it has not yet been specified whether the treatment is for general anxiety or something else.

Obviously these things are always touchy, personal situations so information may be difficult to come by.  But we’ll update if and when anything new comes to light.

I will say, however, this sort of thing is really out of the blue with respect to Huff, who has always seemed like an extroverted and fairly comfortable person all things considered.  We never really can know, however, what goes on in someone’s mind or in their personal life.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM

This just does not sound good at all. I wish him and his family the best.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I have terrible anxiety – crippling, cold fear. Yet socially, at gatherings, I’m usually the life of the party and very lightearted.

You just never know, and this isn’t an easy battle. My thoughts are with Aubrey.

• ThisIsBaseball - Apr 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM

The same with my wife. I wish both you, and him, the best.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM

• baseballisboring - Apr 25, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Yeah, I mean, social anxiety and anxiety are two totally different things. I’m the same way. I get a little anxious if I’m around too many people I don’t know, but I’d basically just call that shyness. The anxiety I have doesn’t get in the way of my social life as much as it gets in the way of school, work/other functional responsibilities, and close relationships such as family. You really never do know what’s going on in someone’s head.

3. blabidibla - Apr 25, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Hmmm,

I’m not making light of anxiety disorder, but the every changing narrative makes me think something is amiss. Perhaps Huff was told he was going to sit in order to get Belt ABs and he didn’t like that news? Total speculation on my part

• jrd8523 - Apr 25, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Not really consistant with how the Giants do things. Plus Bochy made a point of saying he was sticking with Huff when asked about his struggles before he skipped town.

4. dawglb - Apr 25, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I wish him well. Life can be going along fine. Then, for what seems to be no significant reason, life throws a curve all at you (please pardon the pun). All the best to you A.H!

5. techpeasant - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I truly feel badly for Aubrey and his family. Anxiety disorder is a very real condition that can manifest itself in different ways and different times. No one would ever guess that both my sons have anxiety problems that afflict them in different ways. My best to Aubrey and his family, and prayers for some form of a quick resolution and return.

6. sophiethegreatdane - Apr 25, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Huffy is one of my favorite ballplayers. A guy who appears to have fun, works hard, and while he isn’t the most talented athlete around, makes a lot happen with what he has.

My thoughts are with you Huffy — get better.

7. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM

#FreeBrandonBelt

8. Gordon - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Given why he’s on the DL, it seems like the team shouldn’t be disclosing the reason. Or they should do it like the NHL (upper body & lower body injury). Seems unfair to him.

Maybe they have no choice in how they report it…just seems like a weird way to handle it.

9. xmatt0926x - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:08 PM

It’s a nice change to see caring and understanding comments when a topic like anxiety or depression is mentioned with players or people in general. Usually you get the “dude, he’s a pro athlete and rich. What’s he got to be depressed about?” nonsense. It doesn’t matter how well your life may be set up or how much you have of this or that. Things like clinical depression or anxiety can come out of nowhere and can leave you with a feeling of hopelessness in life no matter how easy or nice you may seem to have it.

10. sjsharksfan11 - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I may sound cold hearted but seriously….you’re a professional athlete making great money, definitely enough to be set and take care of a family, PLAYING a game. if its anyone that should have anxiety, it’s the hard working Americans paying to go watch baseball with the insane prices and struggles for work etc. I just don’t get it.

• thomas2727 - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:48 PM

So what does having an anxiety disorder have to do with a person does to earn a living? I think people can be too harsh to those with mental disorders because they are not usually outwardly visible thus can be hard for most people to accept or understand. Look at how the NFL is finally taking the bull by the horns on concussions. We have no idea how or why Aubrey is suffering from anxiety disorder?

• sebaker - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:42 PM

He’s “playing a game” … in front of thousands of spectators and a million fans who really REALLY care what happens … can you imagine being anxiety prone and then dealing with the pressure, the booing … sure most ballplayers learn to compartmentalize but when you can’t it must be rough

• seeinred87 - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You’re right about one thing: you just don’t get it.

And I don’t mean to be a dick about it, a lot of people don’t get it. Mental health issues just aren’t something most people are well-educated about.

11. leftywildcat - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM

There is so much of that lately that many of us have some appreciation for what he must be going through.

He is in my thoughts and prayers.

12. 24missed - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Perhaps, he has situational anxiety due to the family emergency. They could be two separate entities.
    Just a thought. Either way, Huff is blessed to be on a team that allows him to be on the DL to receive help.

Wishing Huff and all of the board members with anxiety disorders the best. You guys here sure are brave folks.

13. kcrockett1 - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:41 PM

As a Giants fan, I’ve had my ups and downs with Aubrey Huff, however as a man that has lived over a decade with anxiety order, I’m pulling for “my” guy!!!!

14. sjsharksfan11 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Yeah but being a professional athlete you accept going into it the fact that you will be playing in front of thousands that care. That card can’t be played

• hasbeen5 - Apr 26, 2012 at 8:25 AM

You sound like someone who deserves kidney stones.

15. wgward - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM

MercuryNews reported that his wife filed for divorce on Jan. 31.

• sasquash20 - Apr 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM

That sucks. I think this guy just needs to get a break and chill out. I wish him the best and I hope he can over come what is bothering him.

16. nickellbag - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:53 AM

Rub some dirt on it sissy!

17. blabidibla - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM

If he was having marital issues all last year leading to his wife filing for divorce, that might have been the trigger for his disorder. And the disorder could easily have led to his general all around suckiness since they won the series. If that’s the case, I don’t see how he could be returning so soon. Obviously we don’t have all facts here.

18. 66orioles - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM

If you could survive the Orioles and then go on to help win a World Series I know you can beat this.

Good luck friend and may the next World Series you are in be the Orioles vs the Giants.

19. teamoconnell - Jul 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Aubrey’s “anxiety” was from trying to balance
    girlfriend, family and baseball. Now he is likely
    Anxious over a divorce and a 146 batting
    Average while playing for the
    San Jose Giants (minor league)
    He’s an over paid ass!