Jose Reyes got booed

Apr 25, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT

Houston Astros v Miami Marlins Getty Images

I didn’t tune in to the Mets-Marlins game because, really, I didn’t care a lot about the Mets-Marlins game.  But Bob Klapisch was there and he heard the boo-birds for returning star, Jose Reyes.  And he wasn’t happy about it:

Let’s not quibble over what percentage of the Citi Field crowd booed Jose Reyes in his first at-bat Tuesday night. We’ll be kind and say only half declared war on the shortstop, even though it probably was more. But no matter – after the third inning, Reyes was treated to an ugly, full-blown trashing, which should’ve embarrassed any decent, fair-minded Mets fan.

I think Klapisch is right on all of the reasoning here: the Mets didn’t make any serious attempt to keep Reyes. The Marlins offered him silly money. Reyes did nothing on his way out the door that should have upset Mets fans.  It was a straight business thing, just like anything else.

I’ve made no secret of the fact that I’m not a big fan of booing people, so I’m not totally objective here. And I realize that everyone has a right to boo if they want to.  But booing Reyes last night seems rather odd, petty and kind of sad to me.

1. heyblueyoustink - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I heard his feelings were hurt……and then someone handed him his bank statement.

• bigharold - Apr 25, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Wait till the Marlin’s fans star booing him.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 25, 2012 at 5:56 PM

boo how dare you miss the playoffs with another team boo

2. BigGreen89 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Craig — You are dead on. I was embarrassed (even more than usual) to be a Mets fan last night. This guy was the face of the franchise for 9 years, wasn’t offered a contract by the Mets (because of our Madoff-induced mess; although I didn’t support them paying what they would have had to pay to keep him anyway, given his injury risk), and took the deal offered him in Miami. It pains me to say it, but Mets management outshined the fans in this instance — they put together a video tribute to Jose. And, even after all that, Jose was gracious with reporters afterwards. He said it didn’t bother him, he is on a different team now, and he’s trying to help them win. Way to stay classy Jose. Mets fans, last night, not so much….

• BigGreen89 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I forgot to add that these are the same fans who blanketed, and I mean blanketed, Citi Field with banners throughout the 2nd half imploring the Mets to bring Jose back.

• yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I tuned in just to watch his first at bat and was surprised that Citi was that empty. At least on SNY it appeared that the response to him wasn’t that loud (boos or cheers), but I heard way more boos than I expected.

I agree with you, with all the fuss the Mets fans made to keep him last year I expected a different response to his return.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM

It’s not their fault. They have a syndrome, if left untreated can lead to bad things.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Hahaha! The rotation is hurt in a sitting down accident. Thanks for sharing Jonny.

3. vansloot - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Contrast that with Minnesota fans giving an ovation to Nick Punto when he pinch hit for Youkilis last night:

I’m not and never have been a Nick Punto fan, but its nice to see fans cheering for a former long-time team member that just happens to play for another team due to the nature of the modern game.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Without a doubt Vansloot.
      Very similar to the St. Louis fans giving Ryan Ludwick a Standing ‘O’ upon his return with the Padres.

4. Gobias Industries - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

They weren’t booing him, they were saying Boo-urns.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Ha! Awesome Simpsons reference!

• phukyouk - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I was saying boo-urns

• chiadam - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I was saying Booo-urns.

You beat me to that one.

5. charlutes - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

In this case you’re absolutely right, but there are cases when booing is appropriate and fun. Athletes are grown men, they can take it. If I want to boo A Rod for that time he called off the Jays infield and a pop fly dropped on us, so be it. Don’t be soft Calcaterra.

6. sdelmonte - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Yeah, not the greatest moment in the history of Mets fandom. He did nothing to earn a booing. You want to boo someone, then boo ownership for mishandling things.

Will note, though, that based on the obviously tiny sample set, the Mets didn’t necessarily made the wrong move in not overpaying Jose. I thought he would be thriving in the new fishtank, and it’s been a shock that he is off to such a slow start.

7. hushbrother - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Probably just a convenient target for frustrated Mets fans.

8. mybrunoblog - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Memo to Klapisch: Bad idea telling fans when they should and shouldn’t boo. We drop big $ on seats . We’ll be the ones who decide on who to boo or not to boo. The press box gets a little stuffy sometimes…..Get a grip Klap….

9. stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM

While it is unfortunate and it certainly illustrates (once again)…what you get with New York.
    It is by no means a surprise he was booed. Cause’ again…we are talking about New York.
    There are certain “fanbases” who quickly forget who used to butter their bread.
    And make no mistake…Jose buttered their bread for years.
    It’s just unfortunate said “fans” fail to acknowledge, recognize or appreciate that.

• mrhojorisin - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:43 PM

This is a load of crap. I lived in L.A. when the Dodgers TRADED Mike Piazza, and I saw at least a dozen games with him as a visiting player, and Dodger fans ALWAYS mercilessly booed him. Didn’t matter that it wasn’t his decision to leave. To say this mindset, lame as it is, is endemic to New York alone is naive, at best. You unfortunately experience this just about everywhere these days. And you can blame sports talk radio, ESPN and the like for it more than you can New York.

BTW, some of the above posts mentioned that Mets management took the high road by airing a video tribute to Jose. Well, ever since the Mets announced they were going to do that, they’ve been taking shots in the press for honoring a player who chose to leave. So, which way DO we want it? High road or low?

• Gobias Industries - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Guess this Cardinals fan forgot who used to butter his bread. (Pretty sure he’s not a New Yorker.)

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Gobias. I can only surmise you posted a rediculous video of someone burning AP’s jersey.
        Let’s talk again if/when he returns to Busch Stadium as an Angel.
        I can assure you he will be graced with nothing but claps, cheers and a standing ‘O.’
        It’s just the way it is. It’s the way it has always been. It’s the way it will always be.
        Disclaimer: Unless your name is JD Drew of course as I am pretty sure he got booed.

10. tsi431 - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Its simple, he was booed because he plays on the Marlins, a division rival.

Case in point, Mike Piazza. He came into town with a Padres uniform and not only got a standing ovation upon his return, but also a curtain call on both of his home runs he hit against the Mets, that never happens.

Proud of the Mets fans.

Disgusted by the ignorance of Bob Klapisch and Craig.

• mrhojorisin - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM

By the way, if you recall, Mets fans were lambasted, in the press and on the radio, for continuing to cheer after Mike had hit his second homer that night. They were taken to task for not staying loyal to the home team. So again, how do we want it?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Thanks for reminding me Tsi. I remember Piazza getting the curtain calls very well.

11. blockedshotnyr - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Didn’t do anything to deserve it? Are you kidding me?

First, he’s tied to an era of Mets baseball, which is ultimately the most disappointing in the franchise’s history – the Wright/Reyes Mets of the mid-2000s were a team with championship caliber expectations who failed to deliver and especially in the clutch. In fact, the teams were the anti-clutch collapsing two consecutive years to finish outside of the playoffs.

Second, he never offered to take less money to stay with the Mets – now we can debate the finer points of who would or would not do that and whether it is a reason to boo someone – but I believe as a homegrown player with a franchise he knew was financially struggling he could have offered to take less – never did.

Third, in what was his last game as a Met and his last opportunity to showcase for the Mets faithful, he took himself out after a bunt single to preserve his batting title rather than allow the fans to enjoy his talents one last time.

Fourth, he signed with a division rival for absolute top dollar.

Fifith, everyone seems to forget his antics or enthusiasm often backfired – like dancing on third base in the second to last game of the season which explicitly angered some of his current (and eliminated teammate) leading them to gain some extra motivation in clubbing us. Not to mention his pouting on the field after a call he disagreed with.

Reyes was an electric talent and greatly enjoyable as a Mets fan, but to criticize the Mets fans for booing is unfair. This is a franchise that had brought its fans hopes up extremely high to only disappoint and then present a shell of its former self on the field in recent years – up until Reyes left this offseason after playing at a level he rarely played before just before getting a new contract.

If your franchise was on the cusp of greatness and then a series of errors, injuries and just plain awfulness derailed your team – you’d be pretty ticked. And you certainly would boo the guy who just left you high and dry.

• mrhojorisin - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I don’t agree with a lot of this, because as fans, we’re emotional and don’t always see that players are merely making business decisions, much as we’d like them to do otherwise. But it does bug me that the Marlins, more than any other team, took issue with Jose’s “enthusiasm”, at one point resulting in an end-of-season brawl, are the team that got him. But I blame management for that more than I do Jose.

• blockedshotnyr - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

It’s fair but you can argue the values of loyalty/business all day – some fans feel one way, some feel the other. I think given the circumstances he could have offered… He had no interest in doing that.

• mrhojorisin - Apr 25, 2012 at 4:18 PM

blockedshot, to be fair, given where this organization was heading into the offseason and subsequently into this season, would you have stayed for less? And believe me, Jose was my favorite player, but I really can’t blame him. I blame an organization in the #1 city in the country, with a still-new ballpark and their own TV network, that somehow still couldn’t manage to keep the best impact position player the organization has ever developed. And it bugs the hell outta me that he’s playing for the Marlins this year for about the same amount of money we’re paying our new bullpen and Scott Hairston. Guess who I’d rather go to the ballpark to see?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM

The bunt to secure the batting title and him subsequently taking himself out of the game is about the only thing I can point to that absolutely pissed me off about the guy.
      But of course…I only have a small sample size as I don’t watch a lot of Mets games.

12. The Dangerous Mabry - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I’m not a big fan of booing, but I imagine for a lot of fans, they simply felt a need to react in some fashion to Reyes, given the years of attachment that were formed. And it’s not like you can stand up and cheer for a guy who’s playing for a divisional opponent. You can sit silently, or boo, or some third thing I’m not aware of.

The thing I don’t know, and frankly, I’m too lazy to find out, is if he was cheered during the intros or during the “tribute”. I imagine so. In that case, the fan reaction can be described as:

Cheering Jose Reyes the person
    Booing Jose Reyes the Miami Marlin.

And I think that’s probably reasonable.

13. Reggie's Bush - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I was at Citi last year with my “Dont Trade Reyes” shirt, and was there last night. Leading the game off I clapped a bit for Reyes as a thanks for the memories and many years, afterwards boo birds were out in full force.

As a NYM fan, do I have to cheer Reyes on for life? When he plays against my favorite team, and he’s playing for a division rival? Oh please!

He didn’t want to negotiate during the season and it was obvious (esp. given with the spectacular year he had) that the financial gap between the mets and Reyes was enormous. Besides if the Mets would have offered a contract Craig (probably all baseball writers/analysts) would put a column up the same day stating how the Mets lowballed him.

After all the lobbying by the fans for him, then Reyes takes himself out after the 1st inning in his last career at bat for the mets? Everyone went to that game for him, not to see Batista pitch!

Plus what tsi431 & blockedshotnyr (Go Rangers!) said.

Well I guess it’d be expected for the Mets to get piled on – especially in a majority Phillies blog with a Braves writer.

14. dirtycrumbs - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I’m not a big fan of booing, but the Wilpons deserved to be booed.

15. Reggie's Bush - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Also Philly fans, remember Jason Werth?

Philly fans drove to Washington to boo Werth! That’s after he helped them win a title!

Do I need to look up Boston/Damon? I think not.

16. gnyj85 - Apr 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Reyes left us to chase the money. He left the last game of his Mets career to chase a batting title. He has, and always will be a selfish player. Its too bad because he couldve been one of the most memorable Mets of all time. Definitely the best Met SS of all time. But, now hes our rival, that’s it.

Reuben Tejada is now our guy!

• BigGreen89 - Apr 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

I think there were a lot of Mets fans who were happy to have the team’s first batting title.

17. downhillrider - Apr 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM

why shouldnt he get boo’d? Almost everyone who leaves for money and goes back to play against his old team will get boo’d. the mets payed him well, too well if you ask most mets fans including this one. he played half assed alot and everyone knows about his injuries. but he’s gone and you move. the marlins should have looked at carl crawford and what he’s been like since he left TB before they bid against themselves to get Reyes.

• BigGreen89 - Apr 26, 2012 at 8:27 AM

The Mets paid him too much? Are you crazy? In realityland, he took the crappy deal ($23.25 million over 4 years) a couple of years ago when the Mets paid David Wright too much a couple of days later. I always thought I would be pissed if I were Jose, to sign my deal and then see what they paid David Wright (6 years/$55 million) 3 days later. He was due to get paid in this deal, and you are a hypocrite if you say you wouldn’t do what Jose did. The Mets (Madoff…) weren’t in a position to offer him any serious deal, so he went where he could get paid, and got the most money he could get. I’m fine with the people who said cheer him at the beginning, then boo him later. But he deserves more than what he got.

Three legends off to Cooperstown