Apr 25, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
I didn’t tune in to the Mets-Marlins game because, really, I didn’t care a lot about the Mets-Marlins game. But Bob Klapisch was there and he heard the boo-birds for returning star, Jose Reyes. And he wasn’t happy about it:
Let’s not quibble over what percentage of the Citi Field crowd booed Jose Reyes in his first at-bat Tuesday night. We’ll be kind and say only half declared war on the shortstop, even though it probably was more. But no matter – after the third inning, Reyes was treated to an ugly, full-blown trashing, which should’ve embarrassed any decent, fair-minded Mets fan.
I think Klapisch is right on all of the reasoning here: the Mets didn’t make any serious attempt to keep Reyes. The Marlins offered him silly money. Reyes did nothing on his way out the door that should have upset Mets fans. It was a straight business thing, just like anything else.
I’ve made no secret of the fact that I’m not a big fan of booing people, so I’m not totally objective here. And I realize that everyone has a right to boo if they want to. But booing Reyes last night seems rather odd, petty and kind of sad to me.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)