Apr 25, 2012, 12:31 PM EST
I didn’t tune in to the Mets-Marlins game because, really, I didn’t care a lot about the Mets-Marlins game. But Bob Klapisch was there and he heard the boo-birds for returning star, Jose Reyes. And he wasn’t happy about it:
Let’s not quibble over what percentage of the Citi Field crowd booed Jose Reyes in his first at-bat Tuesday night. We’ll be kind and say only half declared war on the shortstop, even though it probably was more. But no matter – after the third inning, Reyes was treated to an ugly, full-blown trashing, which should’ve embarrassed any decent, fair-minded Mets fan.
I think Klapisch is right on all of the reasoning here: the Mets didn’t make any serious attempt to keep Reyes. The Marlins offered him silly money. Reyes did nothing on his way out the door that should have upset Mets fans. It was a straight business thing, just like anything else.
I’ve made no secret of the fact that I’m not a big fan of booing people, so I’m not totally objective here. And I realize that everyone has a right to boo if they want to. But booing Reyes last night seems rather odd, petty and kind of sad to me.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)