Apr 25, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
I didn’t tune in to the Mets-Marlins game because, really, I didn’t care a lot about the Mets-Marlins game. But Bob Klapisch was there and he heard the boo-birds for returning star, Jose Reyes. And he wasn’t happy about it:
Let’s not quibble over what percentage of the Citi Field crowd booed Jose Reyes in his first at-bat Tuesday night. We’ll be kind and say only half declared war on the shortstop, even though it probably was more. But no matter – after the third inning, Reyes was treated to an ugly, full-blown trashing, which should’ve embarrassed any decent, fair-minded Mets fan.
I think Klapisch is right on all of the reasoning here: the Mets didn’t make any serious attempt to keep Reyes. The Marlins offered him silly money. Reyes did nothing on his way out the door that should have upset Mets fans. It was a straight business thing, just like anything else.
I’ve made no secret of the fact that I’m not a big fan of booing people, so I’m not totally objective here. And I realize that everyone has a right to boo if they want to. But booing Reyes last night seems rather odd, petty and kind of sad to me.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 3
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)