Lorenzo Cain aggravates groin injury on rehab assignment

Apr 25, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT

Kansas City Royals v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Three games into his minor-league rehab assignment Royals center fielder Lorenzo Cain has aggravated his groin injury, canceling plans for him to come off the disabled list Friday.

General manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that Cain “had another strain” and “we’re still waiting on the final diagnosis.”

Cain injured his groin on April 10, so assuming a similar timetable for his recovery would push his return to the majors back to mid-May.

Cain had a huge spring training, but then went just 2-for-15 (.133) before the injury and the Royals have used Mitch Maier as his primary replacement in center field while losing a dozen games in a row.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Young guys getting hurt = bad news.

Get well soon, Cain.

• l0yalr0yal - Apr 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Here’s a fun stat for you:

The Royals are 0-12 without the Cain Train.

2. sportsdrenched.com - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I’m aggravated by this

3. randall351 - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Fortunately Mitch Maier is actually one of the few Royals who is playing well.

• groundruledoublebourbon - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Through 338 games, Maier is a .253 hitter, OBP = .333, slugs .350. Never understood all the love he gets from KC media/fans. He’s had his chances at regular duty and proven to be a below average hitter and former catcher (!) playing center field.

I understand he had 3 hits last night (clutch ones at that), and that he “never gripes about his role,” but let’s be honest: a guy with his numbers and track record should be grateful to have a job as a 4th outfielder in The Show.

• randall351 - Apr 25, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Oh don’t confuse my statement of him currently playing well as saying that I think he’s a good ball player. I was just trying to soften the depression I was feeling when I originally read this post.
        There are in fact several Royals players who should be grateful to have a job in The Show at all.

• groundruledoublebourbon - Apr 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Gotcha – just found an outlet for my Maier hatred and had to use it! ha, now if I could just find someone posting about Getz, Yuni, or Brayan Pena….

Three legends off to Cooperstown