Apr 25, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Three games into his minor-league rehab assignment Royals center fielder Lorenzo Cain has aggravated his groin injury, canceling plans for him to come off the disabled list Friday.
General manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that Cain “had another strain” and “we’re still waiting on the final diagnosis.”
Cain injured his groin on April 10, so assuming a similar timetable for his recovery would push his return to the majors back to mid-May.
Cain had a huge spring training, but then went just 2-for-15 (.133) before the injury and the Royals have used Mitch Maier as his primary replacement in center field while losing a dozen games in a row.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 76
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 42
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 24
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)