Apr 25, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Three games into his minor-league rehab assignment Royals center fielder Lorenzo Cain has aggravated his groin injury, canceling plans for him to come off the disabled list Friday.
General manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that Cain “had another strain” and “we’re still waiting on the final diagnosis.”
Cain injured his groin on April 10, so assuming a similar timetable for his recovery would push his return to the majors back to mid-May.
Cain had a huge spring training, but then went just 2-for-15 (.133) before the injury and the Royals have used Mitch Maier as his primary replacement in center field while losing a dozen games in a row.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)