Apr 25, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Three games into his minor-league rehab assignment Royals center fielder Lorenzo Cain has aggravated his groin injury, canceling plans for him to come off the disabled list Friday.
General manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that Cain “had another strain” and “we’re still waiting on the final diagnosis.”
Cain injured his groin on April 10, so assuming a similar timetable for his recovery would push his return to the majors back to mid-May.
Cain had a huge spring training, but then went just 2-for-15 (.133) before the injury and the Royals have used Mitch Maier as his primary replacement in center field while losing a dozen games in a row.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)