Apr 25, 2012, 4:56 PM EDT
Some pretty bad news for the Yankees’ young starter, who had an MRI yesterday:
Pineda has a tear in his labrum. Arthroscopic surgery scheduled for next Tuesday
— Mark Feinsand (@BloggingBombers) April 25, 2012
Jon Heyman just tweeted that the tear is “pretty severe.”
The labrum — which is in the shoulder — is not a good injury for a pitcher to have. Indeed, Tommy John surgery can represent less of a long term risk to a pitcher than severe shoulder injuries can. His season is definitely over at the very least.
In the wake of a Jon Paul Morosi article assessing the Jesus Montero-Michael Pineda trade there was a lot of back and forth on Twitter this morning talking about just how premature such assessments were. I agree that, given how much control the Yankees have over Pineda — five years at this point — it is kind of crazy to declare a trade winner. But man, this is not the way anyone in New York wanted things to start out.
UPDATE: Let’s head one conspiracy theory off at the pass:
Cashman says that in no way does he believe the Mariners had any knowledge of an injury. Says Pineda was a fully healthy player in January
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) April 25, 2012
UPDATE II: Grant Brisbee has a rundown of some past horror stories — and success stories — involving pitchers who had torn labrums.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)