Apr 25, 2012, 4:56 PM EDT
Some pretty bad news for the Yankees’ young starter, who had an MRI yesterday:
Pineda has a tear in his labrum. Arthroscopic surgery scheduled for next Tuesday
— Mark Feinsand (@BloggingBombers) April 25, 2012
Jon Heyman just tweeted that the tear is “pretty severe.”
The labrum — which is in the shoulder — is not a good injury for a pitcher to have. Indeed, Tommy John surgery can represent less of a long term risk to a pitcher than severe shoulder injuries can. His season is definitely over at the very least.
In the wake of a Jon Paul Morosi article assessing the Jesus Montero-Michael Pineda trade there was a lot of back and forth on Twitter this morning talking about just how premature such assessments were. I agree that, given how much control the Yankees have over Pineda — five years at this point — it is kind of crazy to declare a trade winner. But man, this is not the way anyone in New York wanted things to start out.
UPDATE: Let’s head one conspiracy theory off at the pass:
Cashman says that in no way does he believe the Mariners had any knowledge of an injury. Says Pineda was a fully healthy player in January
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) April 25, 2012
UPDATE II: Grant Brisbee has a rundown of some past horror stories — and success stories — involving pitchers who had torn labrums.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)