Apr 25, 2012, 4:56 PM EST
Some pretty bad news for the Yankees’ young starter, who had an MRI yesterday:
Pineda has a tear in his labrum. Arthroscopic surgery scheduled for next Tuesday
— Mark Feinsand (@BloggingBombers) April 25, 2012
Jon Heyman just tweeted that the tear is “pretty severe.”
The labrum — which is in the shoulder — is not a good injury for a pitcher to have. Indeed, Tommy John surgery can represent less of a long term risk to a pitcher than severe shoulder injuries can. His season is definitely over at the very least.
In the wake of a Jon Paul Morosi article assessing the Jesus Montero-Michael Pineda trade there was a lot of back and forth on Twitter this morning talking about just how premature such assessments were. I agree that, given how much control the Yankees have over Pineda — five years at this point — it is kind of crazy to declare a trade winner. But man, this is not the way anyone in New York wanted things to start out.
UPDATE: Let’s head one conspiracy theory off at the pass:
Cashman says that in no way does he believe the Mariners had any knowledge of an injury. Says Pineda was a fully healthy player in January
— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) April 25, 2012
UPDATE II: Grant Brisbee has a rundown of some past horror stories — and success stories — involving pitchers who had torn labrums.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)