Oldest living ex-major leaguer turns 101

Apr 25, 2012, 8:37 PM EDT

mlb-101yearold-player-120425.standard[1]

The oldest living ex-major leaguer is a Cuban by the name of Conrado Marrero.

Marrero, a 5-foot-5 pitcher who played for the Washington Senators from 1950-54, turned 101 on Wednesday, and Paul Haven of the Associated Press was in Havana to document the occasion.

Click here to read the story, but here are some highlights:

• Marrero is older than Fenway Park.
  • One of his favorite moments was beating the Yankees, yet he says his Senators were “lazy” and error prone.
  • He’s met Babe Ruth, Connie Mack and Dwight Eisenhower.
  • He retired from the majors and returned to play in the Cuban minor leagues, all before Fidel Castro came into power.
  • He doesn’t follow the majors much anymore, but is aware of Jamie Moyer’s comeback (what a whippersnapper!) and Yoenis Cespedes’ exploits.
  • He once had this exchange with Ted Williams: “One day Williams got two home runs off me, and afterward he came up to me and said `Sorry, it was my day today,” Marrero recalled. “I responded, `Ted, every day is your day.”‘

How fun it would be to sit down with Marrero and just let him tell stories all day.

You can follow Bob on Twitter here, or if Facebook is your thing, be his friend here.

1. astrosfan75956 - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:41 PM

That’s too cool.

2. diehardcubbiefan4life - Apr 25, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Wow, thats really cool. Long live Mr. Conrado Marrero. :D

3. lacalledemilanes - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM

The guy is a glory in Cuba, he teached a lot of cuban players including most of the guys that have been playing in the MLB in the last few years. For a long time was one the main advisers for the national cuban team.

4. randygnyc - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:00 PM

With all the garbage on tv nowadays, why hasn’t espn or hbo done a documentary on this dude? Come on guys, the clock is ticking….

• jamessmyth621 - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:00 PM

There is a documentary about him and Monte Irvin. http://thebasesareloaded.com/The_Bases_Are_Loaded/Home.html It’s a good one. I remember it from my “Rhetoric of Sports in American Film” college class

5. channingtaintum - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Great story, but I think my favorite highlight of the article is the simple fact that he was a Rookie at age 39! Thats pretty damn cool.

6. adderalljack - Apr 26, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Happy belated birthday, Mr. Marrero! Smoke ‘em if ya gotta ‘em!!

7. royhobbs39 - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:09 AM

A) I wonder if he will get to keep the $20,000 pension check the article mentions or will it go to the state?

B) If he does get to keep it, does automatically make him one of Cuba’s wealthiest citizens?

8. stlouis1baseball - Apr 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Great stuff. Happy 101 Mr. Marrero!

9. daisycutter1 - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Mazel tov, Senor Marrero!

Looks like I need to head over to Calle Ocho to buy some cigarros…

10. hushbrother - Apr 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Very cool honor to hold.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3946)