Pedro Gomez embodies the intellectual dishonesty of the anti-PEDs bloc of the Hall of Fame electorate

Apr 25, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT

ESPN’s Pedro Gomez had some back and forth on Twitter last night about the Hall of Fame. Pete Rose came up, but so too did PED users — or rumored users — like Jeff Bagwell.

Here’s Gomez’s tweet in response to someone who thinks it is unfair for Gomez and his “500 friends,” as Gomez later referred to the Hall of Fame electorate, to keep Bagwell out:

This is screwy for two reasons. First, because of the McCarthyite “Look! He never denied doing that awful thing we keep saying he did!” jazz, which has no place in mature discourse. I’m sure I can think of all kinds of things Pedro Gomez might have done and start tweeting about them all day. If Gomez doesn’t deny them, does it make it true? Is that how we roll in the sporting press, gentlemen?

But it’s screwy for a much more basic reason:  Bagwell has repeatedly denied that he took steroids. Most recently to Gomez’s own ESPN colleague, Jerry Crasnick:

Jeff Bagwell first denied using performance-enhancing drugs during a 2004 interview with the Houston Chronicle. The passage of time hasn’t altered his words or softened his emotions on the topic. Bagwell, to this day, asserts that he never touched steroids or other illegal performance-enhancers…

… “I never used [steroids], and I’ll tell you exactly why: If I could hit between 30 and 40 home runs every year and drive in 120 runs, why did I need to do anything else? I was pretty happy with what I was doing, and that’s the God’s honest truth. All of a sudden guys were starting to hit 60 or 70 home runs and people were like, ‘Dude, if you took [PEDs], you could do it too.’ And I was like, ‘I’m good where I’m at. I just want to do what I can do.’

You can choose not to believe Jeff Bagwell here — players who have used PEDs have obviously said such things before — but you cannot say that he has not denied using steroids. No, in order to hold the stance that Gomez holds on Bagwell, he has to call Bagwell a liar.

But he’s apparently too cowardly or too ignorant to do that.  He’d prefer to play this cutesy, oblique, intellectually dishonest game, smearing a man while trying desperately to not get his hands dirty.  It’s pathetic.

UPDATE:  Gomez has responded:

So, I presume now that either (a) Gomez will change his Hall of Fame vote and support Bagwell’s induction; or (b) what Bagwell said, and whether or not he actually did PEDs is a wholly irrelevant concern for Gomez, and he was just being disingenuous about it all.

Of course, given that he has basically taken his ball and stormed home, we probably shouldn’t hold our breath waiting for a reply.

1. 18thstreet - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I just skimming his tweets, and at one point, he said he loves reporting. I’d say he loves judging, and hates reporting.

2. snowbirdgothic - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:46 AM

You know, Pedro Gomez has never denied hunting leprechauns for sport. Guilty!

• b7p19 - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Wow, where do I sign up for this? Do they stock a magical forest somewhere with leprechauns? Is there an opening day? I guess the rainbow would kind of give away their location.

• chumthumper - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I would think you could start looking in South Bend, IN.

• badger80 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:05 AM

He stalks the College GameDay set looking for Lou Holtz in the offseason.

• mgv38 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I don’t hunt the stockers. The naturall ones are much more tasty. And by the way, Indiana has a 5-leppy limit, 3 for opening day.

• bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied being Irish.

• HitsDingers - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Pedro Gomez made a sport out of parking diagonally across as many handicap spaces as he can #thingspedrogomezhasntdenied

3. ruehlmann - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Snowbird beat me to the first one of these by a few seconds. I’m plowing ahead anyways, damn the torpedoes:

Have you noticed Pedro Gomez has never denied committing war crimes in a clown costume?

• snowbirdgothic - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I sense a budding meme…
      #PedroGomezNeverDenied

• georgia - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Make it happen!

• ruehlmann - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied he was on the grassy knoll…

• drewsylvania - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Take it to Twitter, it’ll take off.

• bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied casting a HOF vote for Jay Buhner & Bill Mueller.

Oh yeah . . . probably because it’s true!

Can we just petition the BBWAA to implore them to reconsider allowing Pedro Gomez to vote?

I mean have you ever seen HBT readers and commenters so UNITED about any one issue?

I haven’t.

• ruehlmann - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied he would do anything for love, INCLUDING that.

4. Kevin S. - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Have you ever noticed Pedro Gomez has never denied committing plagiarism?

[Paging The Common Man]

• The Common Man - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I have noticed that. I find it awfully suspicious. Until Gomez produces evidence to the contrary, I’m going to go ahead and declare him a suspected plagiarist. Act on this information as you will.

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:31 AM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied that he uses puppies as a means to break in his new nine iron.

#PedroGomezNeverDenied that he had a tranny in a gimp outfit following him around while he covered the Barry Bonds Saga.

#PedroGomezNEverDenied that after a long day’s work of judging, he likes to go home, dress up like a woman and call himself the queen of England while eating fish sticks…

could do this forever

• snowbirdgothic - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied he helped bury Hoffa in the Meadowlands…

5. urdoingitwrongreds - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Pedro Gomez never denied that he was on the Kiss Cam.

6. ss - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:56 AM

For someone whose job it was to follow Barry Bonds around for three years and tell us how far his collective home runs traveled, Pedro is coming off as holier-than-all-get-out.

I like the Buster Olney approach – we’ll never know who did what, so judge everyone in the context of their peers. If we know that someone took steroids, feel free to dock them some points, don’t make it the be all and end all for entrance to the HOF.

There was no testing for decades. The ex post facto witch hunt by these journalists who went along for the ride is shameful and lazy.

• gldfngr38 - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Not to mention Bonds is how he built his entire career yet never once acted as though something was fishy about his performance.

7. 18thstreet - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Pedro Gomez never denied that posts comments on random blogs under the moniker, “HalladaysBiceps.”

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I kind of liked ‘ceps…..he was like my obstinate know-it-all younger brother who was just irritating as all hell…. but I liked the passion

#PedroGomezNeverDenied his legal name is Fausto Carmona and he’s actually 3 years older than he had stated.

• bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM

OMG . . . THAT was awesome!

• cur68 - Apr 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Its “bicepts” with the ‘t’. The ‘t’ is for ‘tanked’, which is how he did the bulk of his insane commenting. And yeah, on the weekends, when its quiet on HBT, I really miss that head case too. No one could start an e-riot like that guy.

8. ruehlmann - Apr 25, 2012 at 9:59 AM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied raising endangered panda bears to fight them for sport.

9. kopy - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:03 AM

You notice #PedroGomezNeverDenied being a wholesale importer of conflict diamonds?

• bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied his undying support of Fidel Castro.

10. gldfngr38 - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM

His retort to his realization of how stupid he sounds/looks ‏ @pedrogomezESPN “Bagwell DID deny. Fine. You join BBWAA for 10 years, you get to do what YOU want with your vote.”

Keep up that hard work Mr. Gomez!

• ruehlmann - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM

You mean like do background research?

• bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Nahh . . . he’ll just “trust his eyes”.

Kind of like how I’ll trust his judgement.

• Jason Collette - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM

What a terrible level of professionalism. He should go back to being shoulder deep into Bonds orifice so we don’t have to hear him talk again.

Unbelievable arrogance

11. bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Pedro Gomez is an intellectual zero. His stance on PED’s is what we get when we let anyone who can speak clearly into a microphone have a HOF vote . . . or sit in judgement of anyone or anything for that matter.

Witness this exchange between Gomez and @FireBrandAL (a Red Sox/American League blog):

Pedro Gomez – Won’t vote for any “users” “@Hunt1Brian:@pedrogomezESPN One more question, I know U followed Bonds career closely, would you vote him HOF.”

Me – Are we talking suspected users or those we have proof used steroids (i.e. a very small number of people)

Pedro Gomez – Proof for several of them. Otherwise, I’ll trust my eyes.

Me – So Im assuming you can tell which people are gay completely based on appearance as well. Interesting.

Me – You can’t spot a steroid user with 100% certainty anymore than u can spot a date rapist, pedophile, or serial killer.

Pedro Gomez – Really, that’s your comeback?

Me – I think its a valid comparison. Not saying certain guys didnt use, but Im not going to make circumstantial assumptions.

Me – Did anyone think Ryan Franklin or Manny Alexander did steroids? No, but they were nailed with it.

Pedro Gomez – Done with you.

FireBrandAl checks Pedro in 5 moves – with a Rook no less.

12. klbader - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Have you ever noticed how Pedro Gomez hasn’t denied that he is a two-bit hack who is completely unworthy of the job that he has?

• bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:04 AM

He doesn’t have to.

#Ijusttrustmyeyes.

13. jimmyp70 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Pedro Gomez has never denied he’s a bad tipper

14. bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied being the true killer of Nicole Brown-Simpson & Ron Goldman.

15. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM

And this is why i love HBT, so many things we could have come up with (child molestation, beating his wife, doing rails of blow off a 14 year old transsexual hooker in Thailand, etc). Instead, you guys came up with “hunting leprechauns”, “committing war crimes dressed as a clown” and “raising endangered pandas to fight for sport”

take a bow all of you.

• snowbirdgothic - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM

To be fair, he actually has denied the Thailand thing.

• bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I think I just pissed my pants.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM

What difference does it make whether he denied it? I’ll trust my eyes and not accept his denial.

• ruehlmann - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM

/bowing solemnly

• napoleonblownapart6887 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Not to get all ‘Inception’-y on you guys here but follow me on this…

Pedro Gomez Never Denied denying that he knew that Jeff Bagwell denied taking steroids…. so is he really just the puppet master out smarting us all on this? Is Pedro Gomez Mr. Smith from the Matrix….?

No. He’s not. I’ll deny that right now. But he clearly likes to force midgets to bare knuckle box Armadillos – certainly didn’t deny that.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM

/slowclap

16. yahmule - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I don’t think it’s necessary, or even particularly helpful, to deny allegations you find baseless. I never had any question about Mike Piazza’s sexual orientation until he called a press conference asserting he was straight.

17. wpjohnson - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM

drug user or not, the truth is that Bagwell’s statistics don’t warrant serious consideration. There are far too any borderline players in the H of F now. Why must we continue to water it down?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Are we talking about the same Jeff Bagwell that’s quite possibly the best NL first basemen ever? How do his stats not merit induction?

• astrofaninkc - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM

wpjohnson = Pedro Gomez

• 18thstreet - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Pedro Gomez has never denied this.

• 18thstreet - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Here’s the list of Hall of Fame first basemen, along with some simple stats:
      http://www.baseball-almanac.com/hof/hofst1b.shtml Let’s start with this: only five of them had more homers. (There’s most complex, compelling arguments to be sure. I’ll leave them to Rich Lederer.) There’s no way you can argue that Bagwell’s inclusion would water down the Hall of Fame.

There’s this weird belief that the Hall of Fame is mostly home to Mays, Mantle, Ruth, and Walter Johnson … with occasional Phil Rizzutos or other unworthies sprinkled in. It’s just not true. Bagwell is obviously superior to many players who are currently in the Hall of Fame.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Would you please stop sullying this with silly old facts and figures?!?

• 18thstreet - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM

You know part of the problem? It’s that a lot of people refuse to acknowledge that there have been any Hall of Fame players in the last 50 years. I just spent 10 seconds on fangraphs creating this WAR grid (I know — STATS!) and here’s the best first basemen since 1962: http://www.fangraphs.com/graphswd.aspx?teamid=0&pos=1B&season=2012&season1=1962&grid=25

At some point, a fan like wpjohnson needs to acknowledge that there has been a Hall of Fame-quality player whose career began and ended in our own lifetimes. But it’s easier to pretend — all evidence to the contrary — that the best players all retired shortly after the Dodgers moved west.

In sports that can be fully measured — say, track or swimming — the idea that athletes from the 1950s were better than those of today is objectively crazy.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM

A bit odd especially when you look at other sports. Last 30 years we get, MJ (best NBA ever), Gretzky (best NHL ever), Peyton Manning possibly best NFL ever, Maradona/Pele for best soccer player ever (Messi closing in).

But baseball? Pujols/Arod are definitely up there, but some people will stay take Ruth over Bonds.

• gldfngr38 - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Pedro Gomez is now trolling HardballTalk.

18. hushbrother - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Hey, it’s April. Hall of Fame debate season was three months ago. Can’t we lay off that (extremely tired) subject for at least part of the year?

• bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM

And now Pedro Gomez’ brother is also trolling HBT.

#strangebuttrue

19. Tim's Neighbor - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied Hating cake, pie and ice cream.

What kind of sick bastard hates all 3?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

While hating CAKE and ice cream would make him a sick bastard, hating (pie) tempers that a bit…. What a dilemma…

20. Lukehart80 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

As many people leave ESPN for other jobs, and others reveal what seem like weak standards for journalism and broadcasting, the number of people at the network/website whose work I have much respect for seems to get smaller and smaller. Thank goodness it also keeps getting easier and easier to follow sports without depending on ESPN.

• 18thstreet - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Among the things that are ridiculous about Hall of Fame voting is that if Pedro Gomez had spent his entire career with ESPN (and never with a newspaper), he wouldn’t have a Hall of Fame ballot. It makes no sense.

And now, even if he were to start covering the NBA and never cover another baseball game in his entire life, he’d still have a ballot. It makes no sense.

• bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Actually, from what I can tell, The-Performance-Artist-Known-As-Pedro -Gomez was granted his HOF vote after he arrived at The Worldwide Bleeder.

Which is the very point that I made to P-Go earlier today on Twitter. His response? Crickets.

Of course, he kept right on responding to far less pointed criticisms.

• bigleagues - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I also zinged him with this one high and in tight . . .

Predictably, no response.

21. djpostl - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Here is yet another great example of how pathetic & childish Gomez can be on this issue. http://firebrandal.com/2011/10/05/pedro-gomez-and-steroids/

22. soobster - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Pedro Gomez has never denied that he has a “I Heart John Clayton” tramp stamp. Tribal design of course.

23. stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM

#PedroGomezNeverDenied he is a big fan of sheep and he stump breaks them immediately upon arriving on the farm.

24. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Pedro Gomez is Kaiser Soze.

#PedroGomezNeverDenied

25. myopinionisrighterthanyours - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I don’t think I’ve seen a single issue unite the nbcsportstalk crowd quite like this one, or having me on the verge of spraying my keyboard with the liquid I was attempting to drink. There are some epic non-denials proposed by everyone. Thanks for the laughs, all.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:04 PM

That’s what we are here for.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3929)