The Giants are not pleased at the Reds for throwing at Buster Posey

Apr 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Buster Posey, Tim Flannery

Last night Joey Votto was plunked by Dan Otero in the seventh inning of the Giants-Reds game. If Otero was actually trying to hit Votto it was pretty remarkable, because that would have been the only spot he hit in what was an otherwise hellish night for the Giants’ reliever.  Way more likely: ball actually got away from Otero.

The Reds apparently didn’t see it that way, because in the ninth inning, Reds reliever Sam LeCure threw behind Buster Posey in what seemed to be a retaliatory move. You hit our big guy, we’ll hit yours.

Bruce Bochy was not enamored of the move. As Hank Schulman reports, Bochy mouthed the words, “That’s f***ing bulls**t” when it happened. And after the game had something to say:

“The kid (Otero) has got two weeks in the big-leagues. He’s trying to get through an inning. He’s trying to survive. He’s not trying to hit anybody. He was scuffling out there. I’m sure he was nervous … That’s how people get hurt. Here’s a guy (Posey) we lost for a long time last year and he gets a ball thrown at his kneecap.”

Posey took care of it himself, of course, by hitting a homer later in the at bat.  Still, I have to agree with Bochy: there’s no way Otero was throwing at Votto. Kid couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn last night.

1. higgy5353 - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM

S. F. = crybabies

• Marty - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I can think of three east coast fandoms who cry about much,
      much less.

2. mJankiewicz - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Wasn’t it Tony LaRussa who said something about retaliating whether it was intentional or not? That way the opposition would make sure not to hit his guys. I know a lot of people are anti-beanball around here, but that’s one of the few things I actually agree with LaRussa on. Keep your 90+ MPH fastball away from my guys or we’re gonna have some problems.

• Nick C - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:54 AM

As a Cards fan I can tell you that TLR only said that about pitches that are at or near a batter’s head.

• mJankiewicz - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Thank you for clarifying.

• metalhead65 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM

so that’s why duncan and their catcher went nuts last year when a reds reliever hit albert near his wrist?

• Nick C - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM

@metalhead56 – Yes the pitch hit Albert in the wrist. Yes it was also dangerously up and in. I’m sure you also defend Cueto the Coward for his sissy kicking. Oh and nice job supporting your team by going to games Reds fans…or not.

• cincyjason - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Way to tie up your franchise (Albert Pujols) long term!

• Nick C - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Very glad the Cards did not decide to pay for 10 years of decline. I love Pujols and am sad to see him go but it is the correct baseball decision.

I see I got a bunch of “thumbs down” for my comment. Must have hit close to the mark.

3. heyblueyoustink - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Does Brendan Shanahan have to get involved here?

• kopy - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Sam LeCure will surely get Shanabanned. We just have to wait for the cermonial throw at the Dartboard of Punishment.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Nah, Posey wasn’t carted off on a stretcher so i’m sure it will be a matter of using his magic 8 ball, not the dart board of destruction

4. gosport474 - Apr 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM

So let’s get this straight. Votto gets hit, Posey doesn’t, and Bochy is bellyaching. It figures. It was a purpose pitch behind the batter not meant to hit him. Just means if you hit our guy again in this series we’re going to plunk your guy. Hasn’t this been the way it has been done for ages?

5. jonirocit - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:08 AM

You tools always run with the sf=crybaby thing. Watch the games then run your mouth . Err wait you proly need to ask momma if u can come outta the basement

• theman1932 - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM

As a Reds fan, I thought this was unnecessary. I didn’t think Votto was hit intentionally. I do however think the Giants were fortunate that LeCure was pitching. That dude doesn’t throw hard.

6. joshfrancis50 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Bob Gibson laughs at this “retaliation”.

• stabonerichard - Apr 25, 2012 at 2:59 PM

The most batters Bob Gibson ever hit in a single season was 13. The great intimidator Barry Zito has drilled 13 batters in a season three times.

I understand there’s a difference between pitching inside & plunking batters, but it seems to me the talk about Gibson & other pitchers of yesteryear is often overdramatized.

• joshfrancis50 - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I’m just saying, in the words of my grandfather, that he’s an ornery cuss.

Per Sports Illustrated: “In his autobiography, he wrote that he threw nine pitches: ‘two different fastballs, two sliders, a curve, a change-up, knockdown, brushback, and hit-batsman.'”

• stabonerichard - Apr 25, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Sure, I think his reputation of being a damned tough competitor was probably well earned. But the fact of the matter is Gibson didn’t hit very many batters.

Again, I realize there’s a clear distinction between pitching inside & hitting guys, but I think it would be more accurate if people would talk about Gibson being a dominant pitcher who gained some of his success by commanding the inner part of the plate/box, like Clemens & Pedro, rather than rambling on about Gibson being a brazen warrior who was knocking guys all around the batter’s box.

7. thomas2727 - Apr 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Just Dusty being Dusty. If he is not burning out young pitchers he is busy fighting with somebody. I guess now that Tony LaRussa has retired he has to find a new team to fight with.

8. Marty - Apr 25, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Votto accidentally hit by a shaken rook, and the Reds fly into a road rage fit and attempt to send
    Posey back to the DL?

Who’s the crybaby.

• stabonerichard - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:52 PM

The big leagues just isn’t the place for a shaken rook to be working out the kinks, putting a big league superstar who is the cornerstone of a franchise at risk of injury.

Giants fans, having seen the devastating impact of losing Posey last season to an unfortuante incident, should understand this as well as anyone… while also understanding that the lack of malicious intent doesn’t make a ton of difference.

And besides, nobody was trying to send Posey back to the DL last night, as you wildy exaggerate above. Dusty sent a not-so-subtle message by having his guy toss behind Posey. I’m not sure that was the best way of addressing the situation, but we often see worse when teams retaliate by actually drilling guys.

9. stabonerichard - Apr 25, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I’m not a fan of either team. I didn’t see the incident. But from what I’ve read here, it sounds like the Giants had some nerves-shaken kid on the mound who’s barely got a cup of coffee in the bigs. So they decided to use him late in a blowout game, which makes some sense, but I can understand where the Reds wouldn’t appreciate the way things transpired, with this kid from the Giants out there “scuffling” and trying to figure things out, and drilling the Reds’ best player in the process. Hell, the Reds have a quarter-billion dollars committed to Votto, so if some rookie pitcher who aint ready to handle the bigs is putting Votta at risk of injury, that’s a problem. Dusty apparently wasn’t comfortable to sit back & watch it unfold.

10. sabatimus - Apr 25, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Sound like the Reds are just irritated that they suck every year.

11. higgy5353 - Apr 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM

S. F. = Crybabies!!! One teams best player gets hit so the other teams best player gets thrown at. Why is S. F. crying? It happens all the time!!!!!!!!!

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2482)