Apr 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Last night Joey Votto was plunked by Dan Otero in the seventh inning of the Giants-Reds game. If Otero was actually trying to hit Votto it was pretty remarkable, because that would have been the only spot he hit in what was an otherwise hellish night for the Giants’ reliever. Way more likely: ball actually got away from Otero.
The Reds apparently didn’t see it that way, because in the ninth inning, Reds reliever Sam LeCure threw behind Buster Posey in what seemed to be a retaliatory move. You hit our big guy, we’ll hit yours.
Bruce Bochy was not enamored of the move. As Hank Schulman reports, Bochy mouthed the words, “That’s f***ing bulls**t” when it happened. And after the game had something to say:
“The kid (Otero) has got two weeks in the big-leagues. He’s trying to get through an inning. He’s trying to survive. He’s not trying to hit anybody. He was scuffling out there. I’m sure he was nervous … That’s how people get hurt. Here’s a guy (Posey) we lost for a long time last year and he gets a ball thrown at his kneecap.”
Posey took care of it himself, of course, by hitting a homer later in the at bat. Still, I have to agree with Bochy: there’s no way Otero was throwing at Votto. Kid couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn last night.
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 9
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 28
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (177)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)