Apr 25, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
Last night Joey Votto was plunked by Dan Otero in the seventh inning of the Giants-Reds game. If Otero was actually trying to hit Votto it was pretty remarkable, because that would have been the only spot he hit in what was an otherwise hellish night for the Giants’ reliever. Way more likely: ball actually got away from Otero.
The Reds apparently didn’t see it that way, because in the ninth inning, Reds reliever Sam LeCure threw behind Buster Posey in what seemed to be a retaliatory move. You hit our big guy, we’ll hit yours.
Bruce Bochy was not enamored of the move. As Hank Schulman reports, Bochy mouthed the words, “That’s f***ing bulls**t” when it happened. And after the game had something to say:
“The kid (Otero) has got two weeks in the big-leagues. He’s trying to get through an inning. He’s trying to survive. He’s not trying to hit anybody. He was scuffling out there. I’m sure he was nervous … That’s how people get hurt. Here’s a guy (Posey) we lost for a long time last year and he gets a ball thrown at his kneecap.”
Posey took care of it himself, of course, by hitting a homer later in the at bat. Still, I have to agree with Bochy: there’s no way Otero was throwing at Votto. Kid couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn last night.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)