Apr 25, 2012, 11:33 AM EST
Dan Hayes of the North County Times reports that the Padres are thinking about the place they call home:
Padres interim CEO Tom Garfinkel said the club plans to study what effects reducing Petco Park’s spacious outfield might have on the team’s offense. The Padres could submit plans to Major League Baseball after the season in hopes of turning Petco into a more hitter-friendly park in time for the 2013 season.
Another way to go with this could be to simply schedule more day games in Petco, because the ball flies a lot better then than it does after that heavy marine air seeps in at night. I suppose that’s unpalatable for a lot of reasons, however, given that a lot of people, you know, work during the day.
Whatever the case, Petco is clearly the most extreme pitcher’s park in baseball. But someone has to be, right? I know each club has to do its best to maximize its revenue and to optimize its competitive position, but I really do like having some variance in these things across the league. While, yes, offense is on the decline these days, we still have a lot of hitter friendly parks around and we could use some pitcher friendly ones to balance that out.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 30
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)