Apr 26, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Yesterday we heard that the Padres are thinking of moving the fences in at Petco Park. Today the reviews are in, and they’re uniformly positive among Padres people:
The idea of bringing in at least some of the fences at Petco Park received the unexpected backing of Padres manager Bud Black Wednesday.
“I’d be in favor of moving them in,” said Black, who was a major league pitcher and pitching coach before becoming the manager of the Padres in 2007.
Actually, both Black and general manager Josh Byrnes support the idea of adjusting the dimensions at Petco Park – a proposal forwarded by interim CEO Tom Garfinkel Tuesday.
It’s that last part that has me wondering about this. Garfinkel is the “interim” CEO because the team is for sale. I wonder if MLB would prefer to wait until a permanent owner is in place of the Padres and let them dictate thing. That is addressed some in the article, but only in the form of an assumption that new owners would want the same thing.
But it doesn’t have to be just a “move them or don’t move them” thing. What if there is a “move the fences in and build a new bar/restaurant/cool feature” in the extra non-field space that is created? What if it requires a bigger investment than the interims want to make?
Not a big deal, I realize, but I’d think that this should wait until the Padres have new owners.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)