Apr 26, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Yesterday we heard that the Padres are thinking of moving the fences in at Petco Park. Today the reviews are in, and they’re uniformly positive among Padres people:
The idea of bringing in at least some of the fences at Petco Park received the unexpected backing of Padres manager Bud Black Wednesday.
“I’d be in favor of moving them in,” said Black, who was a major league pitcher and pitching coach before becoming the manager of the Padres in 2007.
Actually, both Black and general manager Josh Byrnes support the idea of adjusting the dimensions at Petco Park – a proposal forwarded by interim CEO Tom Garfinkel Tuesday.
It’s that last part that has me wondering about this. Garfinkel is the “interim” CEO because the team is for sale. I wonder if MLB would prefer to wait until a permanent owner is in place of the Padres and let them dictate thing. That is addressed some in the article, but only in the form of an assumption that new owners would want the same thing.
But it doesn’t have to be just a “move them or don’t move them” thing. What if there is a “move the fences in and build a new bar/restaurant/cool feature” in the extra non-field space that is created? What if it requires a bigger investment than the interims want to make?
Not a big deal, I realize, but I’d think that this should wait until the Padres have new owners.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 1
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 52
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)