Apr 26, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Yesterday we heard that the Padres are thinking of moving the fences in at Petco Park. Today the reviews are in, and they’re uniformly positive among Padres people:
The idea of bringing in at least some of the fences at Petco Park received the unexpected backing of Padres manager Bud Black Wednesday.
“I’d be in favor of moving them in,” said Black, who was a major league pitcher and pitching coach before becoming the manager of the Padres in 2007.
Actually, both Black and general manager Josh Byrnes support the idea of adjusting the dimensions at Petco Park – a proposal forwarded by interim CEO Tom Garfinkel Tuesday.
It’s that last part that has me wondering about this. Garfinkel is the “interim” CEO because the team is for sale. I wonder if MLB would prefer to wait until a permanent owner is in place of the Padres and let them dictate thing. That is addressed some in the article, but only in the form of an assumption that new owners would want the same thing.
But it doesn’t have to be just a “move them or don’t move them” thing. What if there is a “move the fences in and build a new bar/restaurant/cool feature” in the extra non-field space that is created? What if it requires a bigger investment than the interims want to make?
Not a big deal, I realize, but I’d think that this should wait until the Padres have new owners.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 47
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)