Apr 26, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Yesterday we heard that the Padres are thinking of moving the fences in at Petco Park. Today the reviews are in, and they’re uniformly positive among Padres people:
The idea of bringing in at least some of the fences at Petco Park received the unexpected backing of Padres manager Bud Black Wednesday.
“I’d be in favor of moving them in,” said Black, who was a major league pitcher and pitching coach before becoming the manager of the Padres in 2007.
Actually, both Black and general manager Josh Byrnes support the idea of adjusting the dimensions at Petco Park – a proposal forwarded by interim CEO Tom Garfinkel Tuesday.
It’s that last part that has me wondering about this. Garfinkel is the “interim” CEO because the team is for sale. I wonder if MLB would prefer to wait until a permanent owner is in place of the Padres and let them dictate thing. That is addressed some in the article, but only in the form of an assumption that new owners would want the same thing.
But it doesn’t have to be just a “move them or don’t move them” thing. What if there is a “move the fences in and build a new bar/restaurant/cool feature” in the extra non-field space that is created? What if it requires a bigger investment than the interims want to make?
Not a big deal, I realize, but I’d think that this should wait until the Padres have new owners.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)