Give that ball you snagged to the kid, people!

Apr 26, 2012, 11:04 AM EDT

Kid ball

Scene in Arlington, Texas last night:  foul ball tossed into the stands, young kid almost gets it, but another dude grabs it and preens with it with his lady friend while kid reaches out for it and cries.

I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

The kid got a ball given to him later. But still: if you’re over the age of, say, 16 and a ball comes to you in the stands and there’s a cute little kid next to you: give it to him. No, you don’t have to. But it’s the right thing to do.

1. shelbydawkins - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I’d be more inclined to give a kid the baseball if he didn’t act like such A DAMN BRAT

• jdl1325 - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I agree. That kid is throwing a hella fit and I doubt he even knows where he is.

2. charlutes - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Sure give the ball to the kid…but Craig, you gotta toughen up a bit. Your soft on booing, your soft on kids crying for balls….let the grown up play like we are children sometimes. its part of what makes sports fun.

3. marzalmighty - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I always worry that the game I DON’T take my five year old to, is the one I catch a ball. Believe me, I catch a ball, I’m taking it home to my boy. I’m not giving it to some kid I’ll never even know just so I’ll look good on tv for a bunch of people I’ll never know.

4. yanks33 - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Are you people kidding me? What are 2 fifty yr old douches gonna do with a foul ball, give it to the damn kid

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:12 PM

They don’t look 50 to me. And even 50 year olds still like to throw a baseball around sometimes. Or if you prefer the sit it on the mantle option, a 50 year old can do that to.

5. dchrist09 - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Some of us have kids at home we might want to give the ball to, so don’t assume that the person wasn’t going to give it to a kid eventually.

Also, some of us have been going to games for a lifetime and when we finally get a ball we don’t want to just give it to the kid who cries to get what he wants. Let him serve his time and the brat will eventually get a ball too.

6. absolutsaints - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Why does the kid get the ball? That is wrong with society these days. Kids are so shielded from reality. He didn’t deserve it… He did not catch it…It is not his. Just because he is a kid doesn’t mean that he automatically gets what he wants… What did he learn? That because he didn’t get what he wants he will cry till he does? That is why kids are getting participation trophies. So they done feel left out… OH WELL… GET OVER IT! Kids now a days need to learn a lesson or two. He probably gets beat on the playground because he is a wuss…

I would understand if he was knocked over or someone stole it…but you didnt catch it… it isnt yours… end of story…

• absolutsaints - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Look at the picture… the parents are even laughing at how stupid their kid is being about someone else getting the ball…

7. buddaley - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Craig, I usually agree with you but not on this one. First, I might be more willing to give it to a child who did not cry. There’s no tragedy here if the boy does not get what he wants. Second, I have a grandchild, and any ball I get goes to him. No amount of pressure from the crowd will change that. There is no way to know if the person who caught the ball-even if they are preening or showing off for a girl friend-has someone in mind to give the ball to. For all you know the fellow who catches it may give it to some sick kid in a hospital or at home. Unlikely, perhaps, but not impossible.

8. slopmcflop - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM

So if you are over the age of 16, you can express any childlike excitement anymore? You can’t get giddy at catching a foul ball? You can’t relish the moment of catching a foul ball, something that people have missed out on after spending years and years going to the ball park?

Man, being older than 16 sucks.

It’s not like they ripped the ball out of the kids hands. There are plenty of instances of that happening at ballparks. Dudes hanging out near the front where the kids usually do, and using their height to snag the balls that are tossed in that direction first. Rag on those people.

This couple is just having a fun night out, sharing an experience, and because some little kid decided to bawl his eyes out over something I can gaurantee he doesn’t even fully understand, they are now social pariahs. Sucks to be them.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Exactly about the couple. They’re having some fun that evening and now they’re getting their faces all over tv and websites like this with many people saying nasty things about them when they have done nothing wrong. It’s sad.

9. stultusmagnus - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM

i don’t see the issue. so a whining 3 year-old in a 15 foot radius has claim on foul/tossed balls? forget that. perhaps i would have given it to him, it would have been reluctantly though. i hate rewarding loud, crying babies. it’s just not right…

10. lrak76 - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I’d rather take the ball home to my kid but these days people like Craig know everything and you can’t do that. If you don’t fork the ball over you’re going to get heckled and that’s ridiculous. However, there is a difference between foul ball and ball thrown in to the stands which is usually going to a kid or some slut with no business being in those seats. If you don’t catch it off a bat then it belongs to the nearest brat, otherwise it was meant to be and you keep it.

11. anxovies - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Wow! Those Texans are a hard people. Do they eat their young?

12. mj1818 - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Kids are so pandered to now a days. Cry and you’ll get what you want. A better life lesson would’ve been ” work hard in life and you’ll get your foul ball someday.”

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3686)