Apr 26, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
One player certainly isn’t going to solve all of the Angels’ problems in the midst of a 6-12 start, particularly with veterans calling out manager Mike Scioscia in the media, but it’s tough to ignore the fact that stud prospect Mike Trout is hitting .419 at Triple-A.
As a 20-year-old, no less.
Trout is 31-for-74 (.419) with 10 extra-base hits, 11 walks, and six steals in 19 games, which is good for a .483 on-base percentage, .649 slugging percentage, and 1.132 OPS.
Now, certainly 19 games doesn’t mean Trout is ready to annihilate big-league pitching and the Angels’ logjam of first basemen, corner outfielders, and designated hitters hasn’t gone away, but most of that logjam isn’t actually, you know, hitting and there’s little reason to think guys like Bobby Abreu and Vernon Wells are going to suddenly turn everything around.
So when will the Angels call up Trout? Based on what Scioscia told Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, don’t hold your breath:
I don’t believe anything is imminent, but when you play at the level Mike is playing at now, you become more of a focal point of fans, the media and the organization. When a move is made depends on a lot of things. When you’re playing that well, you tend to push the door open for yourself, but right now he will continue to play [at Salt Lake] until something changes.
Sending a 20-year-old prospect to Triple-A to begin the season when he’d never played there before made plenty of sense, particularly considering the Angels’ veteran depth, but at some point you’d think Scioscia will grow tired of watching the old guys make outs. Or at least that’s what the Pacific Coast League pitchers are hoping.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 3
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 44
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 28
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 46
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)