Apr 26, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald was told by a Red Sox source that the team expects Crawford back by the All-Star break. In fact, they believe a return in June isn’t out of the question. Of course, this is assuming his UCL responds to treatment.
9:37 PM: Via Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, the Red Sox have announced that Crawford was diagnosed with an ulnar collateral ligament sprain in his left elbow. A “conservative protocol treatment” was recommended, which means he will not undergo surgery, but he was given a platelet rich plasma injection and has been shut down from baseball activity.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe originally reported that Crawford could miss three months, but the team’s announcement did not include a timetable. It’s safe to say they’ll be without him for a while, though.
6:43 PM: Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com was told that Crawford has an injury to the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow which will not require surgery. The exact timetable is uncertain, but the Red Sox are hopeful that he could return sooner than three months.
Crawford was scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews this week in regard to his ailing left elbow, so it’s safe to say he didn’t get very good news. The Red Sox are expected to issue a statement shortly with further information.
Jacoby Ellsbury is already sidelined until at least June due to a subluxed right shoulder, so this is yet another tough blow for the Red Sox offense. Marlon Byrd, Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney will continue to hold things down in the outfield for now.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 4
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 19
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 7
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 4
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 80
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)