Apr 26, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald was told by a Red Sox source that the team expects Crawford back by the All-Star break. In fact, they believe a return in June isn’t out of the question. Of course, this is assuming his UCL responds to treatment.
9:37 PM: Via Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, the Red Sox have announced that Crawford was diagnosed with an ulnar collateral ligament sprain in his left elbow. A “conservative protocol treatment” was recommended, which means he will not undergo surgery, but he was given a platelet rich plasma injection and has been shut down from baseball activity.
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe originally reported that Crawford could miss three months, but the team’s announcement did not include a timetable. It’s safe to say they’ll be without him for a while, though.
6:43 PM: Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com was told that Crawford has an injury to the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow which will not require surgery. The exact timetable is uncertain, but the Red Sox are hopeful that he could return sooner than three months.
Crawford was scheduled to visit Dr. James Andrews this week in regard to his ailing left elbow, so it’s safe to say he didn’t get very good news. The Red Sox are expected to issue a statement shortly with further information.
Jacoby Ellsbury is already sidelined until at least June due to a subluxed right shoulder, so this is yet another tough blow for the Red Sox offense. Marlon Byrd, Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney will continue to hold things down in the outfield for now.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)