The $8-small beer barrier has been broken

Apr 26, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

generic beer

Beer at the ballpark is expensive. We all know that and understand that because we all know that people need beer to survive as if it were oxygen and those criminals who run the ballpark have us over a barrel.

But it’s getting even more expensive:

Major League Baseball’s average price for a small beer rose from $5.81 last year to $6.16 this year. At this time last year, the highest price for a small beer was the $7.25 the Boston Red Sox were charging at Fenway Park. This year three teams have exceeded that price, with two breaking the $8 barrier for the first time ever.

The rest of that article is a beer price slide show, but if you make it all the way until the end you learn that the most expensive beer in baseball is in Detroit, where a small beer costs $8.75. That’s for 20 ounces, not 16, but it’s still an increase per ounce over last year’s prices for the then-small 16 ouncer.  And is more than I paid for sixer of Newcastle at the Giant Eagle last night.

In other news, if you’re heading to Comerica Park this summer, may I recommend stopping by here first?

(link via reader bloodysock)

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Glad I don’t drink beer.

• phukyouk - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM

EIther does Josh Hamilton (too soon?)

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Before I say this – yes, I know I take Hamilton’s comments too hard and yes, this is something I could loosen up on and not be so personal – so I expect a boadload of thumbs down when I say this:

I come from a family of alcoholics. The actions produced from alcohol has done horrible emotional damage. Josh’s situation is not a joke. He has a disease. So yes, that’s always too soon.

I know you said that in good jest, though. No harm.

• phukyouk - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM

nah… no thumbs down from me… you acknowledged that it was a joke and didn’t do one of those ” I HOPE YOUR WHOE FAMILY DIES A TERRIBLE DEATH FOR WRITING THAT. MY FATHER IS AN ALCOHOLIC AND….” posts.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Thanks dude. I appreciate it.

This is just a silly baseball comment thread – I know – but I just can’t joke about Josh’s situation. I know what his family’s gone through all too well.

• mrznyc - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:41 AM

He has an addiction, not a disease

2. lunt101 - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Uh, beer has been $9 at both NY stadiums for at least a year..

• mgv38 - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM

but not SMALL beers.

• phipfwe76 - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Yeah it’s for small beers. I was last there in 2009 and paid $9 for a 12 oz Yuengling. They charge $11 for the ‘large’ beers there.

3. allisonhagen - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Must remember flask in August, dude. Both of us. Serious business.

• phukyouk - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Is it only in NY that they do a cavity search before getting into the stadium? they wouldnt let me in with my kid formula cause it counted as outside food.

• mrznyc - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM

They took my sun tan lotion away so I wouldn’t blow up the ball park. Of course, they don’t sell sun tan lotion inside the ball park so I was forced to buy Yankees hats and T-Shirts to keep from burning. Yankees lost so that somewhat compensated for the expense.

4. darthicarus - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM

With the thriving economy, booming city infrastructure, and spotless record of the city as a whole I can totally understand Comerica Park having the highest beer prices. Plus we have this guy – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ-Ubuzn8qs

5. mybrunoblog - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I usually buy the obligatory one beer when I go to a game(weather permitting, no beer if it is a cold day). I know it is a rip off but nothing like a cold one at a ball game.

• sportsdrenched.com - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM

I was wondering why I spent $10 on a 24 oz beer at the K on Sunday, and now I know. Usually I’m a tightwad like that.

Especially since I walked into Kansas Speedway the day before with a cooler full of pounders and it was enouraged.

• Kevin S. - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM

There’s a premium on beer cooled by the sun, you know.

6. vansloot - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Which is why it never ceases to amaze me how drunk some people get at games. It’s got be as expensive as hell. I’d rather spend that money going to more games.

• DJ MC - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I would bet that quite a few of those people are already most of the way there by the time they hit the turnstiles.

Hell in Baltimore, even for the 15,000-attendee games, it often seems like there are 20,000 people milling in and around the row of bars across the street. That doesn’t even include those who follow Craig’s advice and practice the glorious, patriotic, American art of smuggling.

• slopmcflop - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Me and a few buddies ducttaped fifths to our legs to a recent Mariners game. That worked out well, especially since it wasn’t much of the game and we had to drink our sorrows away.

So yes, smuggling is glorious.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I’ve always wondered that too. DJ MC is probably right.

• ezthinking - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Saw a guy two rows down and to the outfield side of me at Yankee Stadium with a two liter bottle of 7-Up which was pretty safe to say wasn’t 100% 7-Up.

A better question is since it costs the same to sit in the bleachers as go to a movie, when will theaters as a whole start selling over-priced booze to go along with the over-priced snacks?

• dowhatifeellike - Apr 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM

The trick I did in Baltimore (when I lived there) was to buy a 6-pack of Pepsi bottles, dump 1/4 out of each bottle, replace it with rum, and seal it all back up. Back in the rings and everything. Always got through the gates. I don’t know if they let soda in anymore, though. This was a few years ago.

The thing about Camden Yards is that some very popular bars are literally across the street from the side entrances. Many people with tickets pregame at the bars but get so hammered that they never make it through the gates (or if they do it’s already the third inning). Some leave after last call at the stadium and watch the game from the bars while continuing to drink. Some just show up at the bars on game nights to be part of the crowd.

• foreverchipper10 - Apr 26, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I did that trick on a bus trip (school function) to Madison Square Garden a few years ago to see the Penn State basketball team in the NIT finals. My first time ever at MSG and we got toasted on the bus ride up. Good times.

7. azvikefan - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:23 PM

$4.00 at D-backs games for a 14oz. Of course it’s Bud.Miller and Coors products

• phukyouk - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM

#GODBACKS

8. dawgpoundmember - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM

trying to budget for your trip up to comerica craig? Just a hint for you, those pina coladas you see that actually look tempting after a couple of the $8 beers, they are a waste. I tried one when i was at miggys 3 home run game a couple years ago, it was gone in two batters and i couldnt taste any alcohol.

9. atxjustin - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM

On my first trip to Fenway my friends and I decided to beat the high beer prices by sneaking in several whiskey nips, only $1 each. Then we only have to buy a still over priced, but comparatively cheap, soda. Smart thinking, right?

Wrong. Small soda, $6.75. Small beer, $7.25. But hey, an over priced day at the park is still a day at the park.

10. Chris K - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:31 PM

The article has issued a correction. Apparently the Tigers are stating their small beer actually only costs $5

11. buffalomafia - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Beer is $8.50 in Buffalo!

12. tmohr - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM

“And is more than I paid for sixer of Newcastle at the Giant Eagle last night.”

Drink American beer, you commie!

13. mdpickles - Apr 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Looks like we’re back to sneaking in beers to the ballpark again.

14. Marty - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Small beers are north of $9 at AT&T Park.

15. jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Get wasted before game time and one or two tops during the game seems to work well for me…from what I remember anyways

16. mgv38 - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Did you ever notice Pedro Gomez has never denied sneaking flasks into MLB ballparks and getting kids drunk?

17. teaspoon1731 - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

What the hell is a small beer?

18. Jonny 5 - Apr 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

19. roycethebaseballhack - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM

This article has me thinking, I feel like I could drink 1000 beers, you guys.
    Even $8.00 ones.

20. ajcardsfan - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I know beer at Busch is expensive. It’s called pre-gaming, it’s why they put so many bars near the stadium.

21. rcali - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Not only have a limited the amount of games I attend but I now come well fed with a flask. This is what happens when teams pay guys like Arod and Pujols money that makes no sense and pass it on to the fans.

• Kevin S. - Apr 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM

And if teams weren’t paying guys A-Rod and Pujols money, they wouldn’t try to maximize their concessions revenue? Econ 101. Take it.

22. dowhatifeellike - Apr 26, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Occasionally I will buy the cheapest ticket in the house and go to a game by myself, eating and drinking nothing during the game. I’ll do the food and drink thing when I’m with people and being social, but it feels pretty good when I can see a professional game and only spend $8.

• mrznyc - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM

$8.00?? This is a Lansing Lugnuts game?

23. Chipmaker - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM

I don’t drink much beer, but Newcastle Brown is superb.

All the trade deadline news to know