Apr 26, 2012, 8:30 PM EST
Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe this evening that “it’s conceivable” Rich Hill could be activated from the disabled list this weekend while the club is in Chicago. See, who needs Carl Crawford?
Hill reinvented himself as a sidearmer last year and posted a 12/3 K/BB ratio over eight scoreless innings with the Red Sox before undergoing season-ending Tommy John surgery in June. The 32-year-old left-hander has been very solid during his minor league rehab assignment, posting a 2.00 ERA and an 18/2 K/BB ratio over nine innings between Class A Greenville, High-A Salem and Triple-A Pawtucket. The Red Sox have seen him top out at 93 mph with his fastball.
More help for Boston’s beleaguered bullpen could soon follow, as Mark Melancon has struck out six over 3 1/3 scoreless innings since his demotion last week. The Red Sox have also converted prospect right-hander Alex Wilson from a starter to a reliever this week to prepare him for the major leagues.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 3
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)