And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Apr 27, 2012, 5:50 AM EDT

Brandon Allen AP

Rays 4, Angels 3: Pinch hit walkoff bomb from Brandon Allen to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Albert Pujols got a hit but he was thrown out at second trying to stretch it into a double. I think that’s what the fancy commentators on those evening baseball television programs call “pressing.” The Angels are nine games back of the Rangers already which, dude, wow.

Mariners 5, Tigers 4: As my Twitter friend Grey said yesterday: “Brandon Inge is gone and the Tigers still have 24 other guys who have also struggled this week! woooooo!” Yeah, not a week to write home about if you’re the Tigers. Which is worse considering they were at home for all of it. Chone Figgins was 3 for 4 with an RBI double. If Chone Figgins is kicking your butt, you gotta look in a mirror.

Royals 4, Indians 2: Break up the Royals, they’re on a winning streak!  Two straight for Kansas City. Alex Gordon after the game: “”We can’t lose now. It’s unbelievable.”  Yes, he actually said that.

Orioles 5, Blue Jays 2: Brian Matusz went six allowing two runs — but neither were earned — as the O’s sweep the Jays and take their fourth straight overall. You know who’s happy Albert Pujols is struggling so much? Jose Bautista. Because not that many people are paying attention to his .194/.349/.343 line.

Mets 3, Marlins 2: Rule of thumb: if you closer comes in to a one-run game and throws 46 pitches, he’s not having a good day and you’re not winning. Heath Bell threw 46 pitches, he was not having a good day and the Marlins didn’t win.

Giants 6, Reds 5: I hit the ending of this one up yesterday. In the comments to that post someone suggested that I pointed out the fact that Angel Pagan — who hit what proved to be the game-winning three-run homer — should have struck out but for the bad call because “you still can’t get over the fact that the Giants beat your Braves in the 2010 DS. Stop hating and give a little credit.”  Yes, that’s exactly why I pointed that out. You got me. I’ve been harboring my hate for the Giants for over a year and a half and finally — finally! — found my chance to pounce.

Red Sox 10, White Sox 3: I’m sure someone has done a study of how dudes do after throwing a perfecto, and I imagine they do quite poorly on average. Maybe not as poorly as Phil Humber did, though (5 IP, 8 H, 9 ER). Saltalamacchia hit two homers.

Padres 2, Nationals 1: Edinson Volquez gave up one run over seven. Which was one more than Edwin Jackson gave up over six, but Volquez had a better bullpen on his side last night.

1. mangothefruit - Apr 27, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Luckily we can check:

Roy Halladay: 7 IP, 10 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
    Dallas Braden: 8 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
    Mark Buerhle: 6.1 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
    Randy Johnson: 7 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
    David Cone: 4 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 7 K
    David Wells: 7 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

I guess they pretty much do average.

2. mybrunoblog - Apr 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM

All of the “Pujols is the Man” signs have quietly been removed in Anaheim, mostly by Pujols himself.
    Yeah it is April but if the Angels get buried by, oh maybe 13 or 14 games behind they aren’t coming back……

• spudchukar - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:11 PM

If “by coming back” you mean catching the Rangers after falling behind by double digits or more, most would agree but if you think any team, including the Royals, cannot rebound and make the post-season, especially when there are two wild card teams, then you are a damned fool.

• pw38 - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Of coure any team can come back, that’s not the point. The issue is that if they keep flailing about like this while the Rangers win games it’s going to get statistically more and more improbably that they have a chance at catching them. Honestly if I were an Angels fan I’d worry about winning two in a row before I worry about what the Rangers are doing or how long it’d take to catch them. The one silver lining would be that if it’s July and their still 9 games back that means the Rangers will have either cooled off or the Halos will have heated up. I just don’t see that happening though. I expect the Rangers to have a double digit lead by the end of May.

3. Utley's Hair - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Craig, have you forgiven Kent Hrbek yet?

• bigxrob - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:24 AM

now I know why he is always trolling Phillies fans, hes still bitter about 1993.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Yup. that’s the root cause. But he enjoys it so much because a lot of them get all offended and stuff about everything.

My mantra in those cases? Meh…he’ll get his just deserts when the baseball gods set things right…eventually. I just wish it didn’t take so damn long in between.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Hello bigexrob. Please remind me what happened in the 1993 World Series?

• Utley's Hair - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Besides, Craig is clearly venting his ire on a guy who used to play for the team that managed to topple the Bravos from their pedastal—the Mutts, Pagan having been in Chicago at that time, notwithstanding.

• bigxrob - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM

@proudlycanadian, I’m still trying to forget.

4. sportsdrenched.com - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I quit mocking Alex Gordon when he says stuff like that after last season.

5. cur68 - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I am paying attention to Bautista’s struggles, I assure you. In fact, for the O’s series the whole hitting Beaver Lineup has pretty much sucked the big one. Except Eric Thames. He’s been on a tear. Got hosed out of hit and 2 RBI last night, too. Dang you and your lousy D Nick Johnson! If you’d been any good a first baseman, that ball eating you alive down the line would have been a hit. Instead that cruel martinet of a scorer hosed Thames due to your “defense”.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:47 AM

How’s he doing for your team again?

• cur68 - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM

He’s on FC’s team. I’m really torn about this, too. On the one hand want him to play well so the Beaver Men force Craig to write a whole post on how great Beaver Power is. On the other I want FC to suffer for stealing him from me. Dilemma city.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I know he’s on FC’s team. I was trying to make a funny. 8)

• cur68 - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Oh. Still dilemma city, though. I’m finding I’m having a hard time sustaining any ire over the blatant theft of my Right Fielder, His Holiness, The Most Interesting Hitter In The World, Jose Bautista (* genuflect & kowtow *), when his non-production is as an anchor holding FC’s team down near benthic levels.

6. randomdigits - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Surprised no one at Hardballtalk noticed that Matusz was out there with Brady’s glove last night.

• Old Gator - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM

I’m sure someone must have noticed. I just doubt that anyone cared.

• jimbo1949 - Apr 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Why, does Marsha want it back?

7. Old Gator - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Well, times like this – which feel very much like times like the second half of last season – one must needs recall the introduction to the “Feel Like I’m Fixin’ to Die Rag” – What’s that smell? Feesh! What’s that smell? Feesh! What’s that smell? Feeeeeesh!

So – the Rainbow Warriors struggle home to Macondo like a bunch of walking (heh, heh) catfish during a drought on the Serengetti following an 0-5 road treep to take on the western Diamondbacks (we have eastern diamondbacks here, as well as diamondback terrapins, and you can get Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt at Winn Dixie and you can play Neal Diamond records on your trusty old Blaupunkt turntable if you get a walnut stuck in your throat and need to barf). Or, if you really need to barf and don’t have enough stored oxygen in your bloodstream to go through all the mechanics of getting the record out of its sleeve, spraying it with dust remover and wiping it carefully with a static-free cloth before placing it carefully on that little pud in the middle of the turntable holding it only by its edges and then lowering the needle arm onto it as meticulously as if you were performing a cornea transplant and then waiting for the endless stream of musical and lyrical cliches to start up in earnest and go to work on the muscles of your abdomen and esophagus (and vinyl is making a comeback? Good grief), you can just read the box scores where it shows the pitching lines of the Feesh boolpen and if that doesn’t work you can check out the RISP averages of their so-called heeters.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Scrooge McLoria threw the Chihuahua through one of the panels of Bosch’s “Garden of Earthly Delights” last night.

• APBA Guy - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Next time you are in SF we have to go to Amoeba in the Haight, where the store, a converted 40 lane bowling alley, once had one rack of vinyl, is now about 30% vinyl. It was one thing to replace my old Introducing the Beatles record 3 times when I could buy it for $ 1.99 or trade my friends a frog and two newts for The Doors. But why do that when MP3 is just as scratchy without having to wait for wear and tear. Somehow Massive Attack in 5.1 has it all over scratchy and skippy.

8. APBA Guy - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Former A, Brandon Allen. The Rays have a habit of picking up Beane’s discards and putting them to good use. Dan Johnson in last year’s playoffs comes to mind. But they also have a habit of correctly assessing a player’s worth, and using them in proper roles, with proper expectations. That way, when something good happens, everyone is pleased, unlike when you go 0-for-September, like Allen practically did last year, people aren’t going “why is he playing?”. Is it the player, or is it the team?

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5317)