Apr 27, 2012, 11:10 PM EDT
Bryce Harper isn’t the only top prospect making his way to the major leagues Saturday.
The Angels announced that they have released Bobby Abreu and will call up Mike Trout from Triple-A Salt Lake.
As for Abreu, the move appeared inevitable. After a trade with the Indians fell through at the end of spring training, the 38-year-old opened April as the odd-man out in the Angels’ lineup. He has only appeared in eight games so far this season, going 5-for-24 (.208) with three doubles and five RBI.
The Angels are on the hook for Abreu’s $9 million salary this season and he can now latch on with any team at the major league minimum. Considering that he’s a pretty big liability in the field at this point, his choices will likely be limited to American League teams.
The Angels have dropped five straight games, including two in a row in painful walk off fashion, so they are clearly hoping Trout can provide a spark for their offense. The 20-year-old entered play Friday with a ridiculous .403/.467/.623 batting line over his first 93 plate appearances with Triple-A Salt Lake, so it’s not a bad strategy.
We’re still looking at a logjam with Trout, Kendrys Morales, Mark Trumbo, Vernon Wells and Peter Bourjos all looking for at-bats between center field, right field and the DH spot, but Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto told Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register a short while ago that “Mike is going to play.”
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)