Apr 27, 2012, 11:10 PM EDT
Bryce Harper isn’t the only top prospect making his way to the major leagues Saturday.
The Angels announced that they have released Bobby Abreu and will call up Mike Trout from Triple-A Salt Lake.
As for Abreu, the move appeared inevitable. After a trade with the Indians fell through at the end of spring training, the 38-year-old opened April as the odd-man out in the Angels’ lineup. He has only appeared in eight games so far this season, going 5-for-24 (.208) with three doubles and five RBI.
The Angels are on the hook for Abreu’s $9 million salary this season and he can now latch on with any team at the major league minimum. Considering that he’s a pretty big liability in the field at this point, his choices will likely be limited to American League teams.
The Angels have dropped five straight games, including two in a row in painful walk off fashion, so they are clearly hoping Trout can provide a spark for their offense. The 20-year-old entered play Friday with a ridiculous .403/.467/.623 batting line over his first 93 plate appearances with Triple-A Salt Lake, so it’s not a bad strategy.
We’re still looking at a logjam with Trout, Kendrys Morales, Mark Trumbo, Vernon Wells and Peter Bourjos all looking for at-bats between center field, right field and the DH spot, but Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto told Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register a short while ago that “Mike is going to play.”
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 15
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 78
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)