Apr 27, 2012, 11:10 PM EST
Bryce Harper isn’t the only top prospect making his way to the major leagues Saturday.
The Angels announced that they have released Bobby Abreu and will call up Mike Trout from Triple-A Salt Lake.
As for Abreu, the move appeared inevitable. After a trade with the Indians fell through at the end of spring training, the 38-year-old opened April as the odd-man out in the Angels’ lineup. He has only appeared in eight games so far this season, going 5-for-24 (.208) with three doubles and five RBI.
The Angels are on the hook for Abreu’s $9 million salary this season and he can now latch on with any team at the major league minimum. Considering that he’s a pretty big liability in the field at this point, his choices will likely be limited to American League teams.
The Angels have dropped five straight games, including two in a row in painful walk off fashion, so they are clearly hoping Trout can provide a spark for their offense. The 20-year-old entered play Friday with a ridiculous .403/.467/.623 batting line over his first 93 plate appearances with Triple-A Salt Lake, so it’s not a bad strategy.
We’re still looking at a logjam with Trout, Kendrys Morales, Mark Trumbo, Vernon Wells and Peter Bourjos all looking for at-bats between center field, right field and the DH spot, but Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto told Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register a short while ago that “Mike is going to play.”
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)