Apr 27, 2012, 11:10 PM EDT
Bryce Harper isn’t the only top prospect making his way to the major leagues Saturday.
The Angels announced that they have released Bobby Abreu and will call up Mike Trout from Triple-A Salt Lake.
As for Abreu, the move appeared inevitable. After a trade with the Indians fell through at the end of spring training, the 38-year-old opened April as the odd-man out in the Angels’ lineup. He has only appeared in eight games so far this season, going 5-for-24 (.208) with three doubles and five RBI.
The Angels are on the hook for Abreu’s $9 million salary this season and he can now latch on with any team at the major league minimum. Considering that he’s a pretty big liability in the field at this point, his choices will likely be limited to American League teams.
The Angels have dropped five straight games, including two in a row in painful walk off fashion, so they are clearly hoping Trout can provide a spark for their offense. The 20-year-old entered play Friday with a ridiculous .403/.467/.623 batting line over his first 93 plate appearances with Triple-A Salt Lake, so it’s not a bad strategy.
We’re still looking at a logjam with Trout, Kendrys Morales, Mark Trumbo, Vernon Wells and Peter Bourjos all looking for at-bats between center field, right field and the DH spot, but Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto told Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register a short while ago that “Mike is going to play.”
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)