Aubrey Huff releases a statement

Apr 27, 2012, 10:34 PM EDT

Getty Aubrey Huff Getty Images

Aubrey Huff rejoined the Giants today in San Francisco after being placed on the 15-day disabled list earlier this week with an anxiety disorder.

While Huff didn’t address reporters, he did release the following statement (via CSNBayArea.com) to say thanks for the support he has received this week.

“Thank you to the fans, media and Giants organization for the outpouring of support during this very difficult week. I’m especially grateful for the texts and calls from my teammates, who are like my brothers and have let me know they’re here for me.

My goal is to get back on the field as soon as possible. To do that, I have to focus completely on getting well. I know I’m in a public job, and I’ve been one of the more open guys. But sometimes you have to pull back and work on things in private. This is one of those times.

I appreciate your understanding and patience.”

Huff doesn’t owe us anything, so he’s really going above and beyond here. Let’s hope things get back to normal for him again soon.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Huff is good people. Get yourself well brah!

2. bleed4philly - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

If this guy was black, 100+ comments about how he needs to stop being a diva and play. This coming from a Caucasian.

• detroitfanatic - Apr 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM

That’s a foolish comment.

-A Caucasian

• henryd3rd - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:33 AM

That’s a dumb ass comment

• aceshigh11 - Apr 28, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Dude, just…DON’T go there. Please.

• Utley's Hair - Apr 28, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Maybe on PFT, but I’d like to think that HBTers are somewhat more enlightened—and not as trollish.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Calcaterra/Church/Sandy/Bravo/Aces/Utley’s/et.al:
      This is EXACTLY what I am talking about. This moron’s comment is ALL YOUR FAULT!

Signed,
      An Anti-Race Baiter

3. bossplayer213 - Apr 28, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Dude does have a point though. Anyways…….wish Huff the best. Anxiety sucks.

4. dawglb - Apr 28, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Life can throw a curve ball at you at any time. It is humbling. All the best in your battle!

5. richfactor - Apr 28, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Get a grip on that anxiety Huff Daddy. It’s no joke that’s for sure.

6. drummerdave20 - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

I’ve been to the ER before for anxiety/panic attacks. I’m on 2 medications. it’s no joke at all. I don’t even like the giants but get well soon man. I know how it feels

7. dawglb - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Until you have experienced actual anxiety/panic attacks,….it is hard to relate. It is possible to develop this condition after living 30-40 years of 100% “normal” living. When it happens, life has to be put on hold. God bless, Huffster!

• bigleagues - Apr 28, 2012 at 4:20 PM

One way it happens is when injury leads to the realization that mortality is real, which leads to self-doubt which in turn triggers a tumbling, spiraling thought process that you once believed could only happen to ‘sick’ people. Your ability to focus is diminished or absent, you become pre-occupied with managing expectations which, in effect diminishes performance. Whats worse is some medications that are prescribed to help this can make it worse. There is no easy answer. Time and support seems to be what works best.

Always loved Huff’s in studio, extremely candid, appearances on BTLS Radio when it was still on satellite. Always seemed truly down to earth and appreciative of his lot in life.

Hope he can get it back in gear soon.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM

You are dead on Dawg. As someone who has panic attacks and takes medication for it I can vouch for the accuracy of your comments (at least as in how they pertain to me).
      Case in point with A.H.:
      Dude openly admitted to (somewhat proudly so)…wearing a leather thong his Wife got him (Red or Pink…don’t really remember) under his uniform pants for good luck a couple of years ago.
      You would think a dude that has no qualms with admitting this would have no issues with panic attacks and/or anxiety disorders. However, this just illustrates how they can come on at any time and manifest itself in many different ways.

8. hansjawn - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

It’s too bad this comes at a crucial time as this new, and different group of Giants need consistency out of veterans to strike the pose of steadiness for the team. Aubrey’s absence will not help any new faces on the team become ‘steadied’ at this crucial time of gelling.

• genericcommenter - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I’m sure he wants to be there with the guys, but health/life is more important than baseball.

Orioles turn AL East on its head