Apr 27, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
No word yet on the severity of the injury, but Comak compares it to a sports hernia, which certainly doesn’t sound good. Ryan Perry, who was acquired from the Tigers in December, will be called up to take his place on the active roster. The 24-year-old right-hander has a 2.00 ERA and 11/4 K/BB ratio over nine innings this season with Triple-A Syracuse.
Nationals manager Davey Johnson has utilized a duel-closer approach with Drew Storen sidelined following elbow surgery, but now young fireballer Henry Rodriguez will have the job all to himself. The 25-year-old is 5-for-5 in save opportunities this season while posting a 10/6 K/BB ratio over over 8 1/3 scoreless innings. Lidge is 2-for-4 in save chances with 5.14 ERA and 7/7 K/BB ratio over seven innings, so Rodriguez was plenty deserving of the gig, anyway.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 47
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 130
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (130)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (106)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)