Apr 27, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
No word yet on the severity of the injury, but Comak compares it to a sports hernia, which certainly doesn’t sound good. Ryan Perry, who was acquired from the Tigers in December, will be called up to take his place on the active roster. The 24-year-old right-hander has a 2.00 ERA and 11/4 K/BB ratio over nine innings this season with Triple-A Syracuse.
Nationals manager Davey Johnson has utilized a duel-closer approach with Drew Storen sidelined following elbow surgery, but now young fireballer Henry Rodriguez will have the job all to himself. The 25-year-old is 5-for-5 in save opportunities this season while posting a 10/6 K/BB ratio over over 8 1/3 scoreless innings. Lidge is 2-for-4 in save chances with 5.14 ERA and 7/7 K/BB ratio over seven innings, so Rodriguez was plenty deserving of the gig, anyway.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)