Delmon Young releases statement following arrest

Apr 27, 2012, 7:45 PM EDT

Delmon Young AP AP

Tigers’ outfielder Delmon Young was arrested early this morning outside the team’s hotel in New York City after allegedly shoving a man to the ground and making anti-Semitic remarks. Young and has attorney have since released statements on the arrest.

According to the Associated Press, here’s the statement from Young:

“I sincerely regret what happened last night. I apologize to everyone I affected, the Ilitch family, the Detroit Tigers’ organization, my teammates, my family, and the great Tigers fans that have supported me since day one. I take this matter very seriously and assure everyone that I will do everything I can to improve myself as a person and player.”

Via Matthew B. Mowery of the Oakland Press, here’s the statement from his attorney, Daniel Ollen:

“I represent Delmon Young with respect to the incident that occurred last night. With this matter now in the legal system, Delmon is unable to make any further statements or discuss this matter in further detail. All future press or investigative inquiries should be directed to me. Let me be clear, there are many false allegations regarding the actions of my client and I am confident that the legal process will separate fact from fiction and discredit these reports.”

The Tigers released the following statement earlier this afternoon:

“We are aware of the situation, however it is our club policy not to comment on pending legal matters. As we understand it, this is an allegation and we need to allow the legal process to take its course. It would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time. Per a provision in the Major League Baseball Basic Agreement, any allegation that involves alcohol is referred to MLB’s Employee Assistance Program.”

Young was not in the starting lineup tonight against the Yankees and it’s not clear when he’ll return to action.

1. lostsok - Apr 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM

That behavior is not kosher.

• purnellmeagrejr - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Bland statements – what I was hoping for was something like “Friggin’ Hebes are always messsin’ with me.” but baseballl players are the blandest – it takes a hockey player if yu want honesty.

2. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Apr 27, 2012 at 7:55 PM

He forgot “I swear on my mothers grave this will not happen again, unless of course I get drunk and arrested by a Semite cop. And I would also add I am. It as bad as Miggy. “

3. weaselpuppy - Apr 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Fat Geisha at his computer before the game

Hmm…Open apology.doc…”click”

Find-Minnesota, Replace-Detroit- Replace All “Click”

Delete -Tampa Bay “click”

Highlight “kicking that umpire in the chest”- Delete

Typing “getting all lit and screaming at that homeless guy with the funny hairdo” clickety clack click click.

Contact List-Search for “Jew Lawyer.”…oooh….ahhh….Edit Contact-“Mouthpiece for when I get my fat lazy drunk stupid racist ignorant slow geisha stepping a$$ in trouble…again”

Attach apology.doc

Order Grey Goose bottle service from concierge and turn on the Yankees-Tiger game….

• paul621 - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I have no idea what the hell I just read.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Even if it looks nonsensical it’s funny

4. yankeesgameday - Apr 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Okay Craig, time for a ban to randygnyc, don’t you think?

• yankeesgameday - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Just for a bit of clarity, my above post, where I asked for the ban, was a reply to randy’s very first comment that started the longer exchange. Randy’s comment was taken down by some one on the hbtalk end so the flow of the thread wound up being a bit confusing.

5. mybrunoblog - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Oy vey

6. randygnyc - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Sure Yankeesgamesday, because anything I say about DY can possibly be more offensive than this-

He allegedly shouted “You bunch of F-ing Jews!” and pushed the first member of the group that he could get his hands on — Jason Shank, a business man from Schaumburg Ill, sources said.
    The 6-3, 240-pound Young allegedly shoved the much smaller Shank, 32, into a hotel wall, and then tackled him before the scuffle was broken up, sources said.
    Shank and his pals quickly escaped into the Hilton. Young gave chase but was stopped by a guard, who made him prove he was a hotel guest, sources said.
    Someone in Shanks group called 911 — and the Tigers terror was arrested on charges of aggravated harassment in the second degree, a misdemeanor with a hate-crime element. NY POST

• yankeesgameday - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:46 PM

No, not because of what he allegedly said, but because what you will notice, (but everyone else coming late to this thread willl miss), was that your original post was taken down by either dj, or Craig… Someone on their end.

So everyone gets to miss your one sentence profanity laced death wish for demon young. And that, combined with your recent body of work around here recently is why I called for you to be banned.

I am Jew from Brooklyn, and if you can’t handle what demon young did you’re in for a shock because there are plenty worse people out there gunning for us and we don’t need to try and “win the internet” by making an obscene violent post about him.

I’m pretty sure you’re getting close to wearing out your welcome around here. We like to actually discuss baseball, not go off on curse filled violence inspiring tangents.

We save those for Luke Scott, thank you very much.

• lostsok - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Nice post, Yankeesgameday. And: here, here.

• The Baseball Idiot - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM

So one lonely security guard was able to stop Young, but Young was able to intimidate a ‘group of men’.

I worked hotel security for years, and I’m pretty sure of this:

if it was 2:30 in the morning, Delmon Young wasn’t the only one who had been drinking

I still haven’t head anything about what happened before Young did what he was accused of. I have a hard time thinking Young just blindly walked up to a group of guys while by himself and starting yelling at them and shoving one. I would have to think that there was some form of exchange before Young’s actions that instigated things.

If Young knew the guys were Jewish, there there had been communication between previous to all of this happening.

I don’t agree or condone Young’s use of anti-semitic remarks, but something sounds fishy. How long before we get the obligitory lawsuit filed?

A group of guys drinking get into an altercation with a rich athlete known to have anger issues. Yeah, nothing to see here folks, lets just move along.

Don’t let Young’s stupid use of a word cloud the idea that he might actually be innocent in all of this, and only be guilty concerning his choice of insults.

7. Ben - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM

So far the best part of the Twins’ 2012 season is not having Delmon Young on the roster.

Damning with faint praise?

• lostsok - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:52 AM

A rare double-burn! Well played, sir.

8. schaffershokai - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:59 PM

This turd could use a blunt object to the head Australian style: http://youtu.be/cJxmmbMsns8

9. randygnyc - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM

The profanity I used was exactly the same as DY used (Fu, btw). And my post didn’t promote, persuade or entice anyone, including myself to commit acts of violence directed at DY. My post just suggested DY should do the honorable thing, to himself.

Youre a Jew from Brooklyn? So what. I’m a Jew from Manhattan. We have different opinions about lots of things. But I’m not surprised that you’d like to silence mine.

• jwbiii - Apr 28, 2012 at 3:49 AM

The profanity I used was exactly the same as DY used

Delmon Young was arrested, has been disgraced, and will face consequences. You admit to, and are proud of, displaying the same behavior, and remain merely an anonymous disgrace. Which of you is worse?

10. randygnyc - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Btw, that fu was not directed at you NYgameday. I was simply sharing what I said in the deleted post for those that hadn’t read it before deletion.

Anyway, I’m not the first person at HBT to write the F word. In fact, I’m not the first person today. I’m the 4th in the last 24hours. I guess strategically placing an * in there somewhere makes a difference to you. Figures.

11. dawgpoundmember - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I didn’t know It was already confirmed what he said/did but as a tiger fan, nobody actually cared when he was signed last year, just happy he came threw in the playoffs. So, as of today, I’m happy I actually got to see Eldrid play with his hot bat, which we have needed lately.

12. nofunleague - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Boys boys boys. Meet in the school yard at 3PM and settle this once and for all.

13. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 28, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I feel like I missed an entire conversation, or people are just responding to themselves?

btw, if what randygnyc said is true, how is calling someone a Jew racist?

14. xpensivewinos - Apr 28, 2012 at 8:20 AM

I’m lost: so is he allegedly a fat turd who looks like a frog or is he actually a fat turd who looks like a frog???????

The legal system is very confusing…..

15. randygnyc - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Unfortunately, Delmon didn’t just happen to get in an altercation with what later turned out to be some Jews. demon got into this altercation SPECIFICALLY because they were Jews.

News reports that Delmon launched into his profanity laced, anti-Semitic remarks after being approached by a panhandler wearing a yarmulke and Jewish star. It’s then the group of 4 Chicago businessman stepped in to defend the man being bombarded with the hateful remarks. NYC pd very rarely seeks hate crimes, unless they’re pretty confident one transpired.

16. pcaisnipe - Apr 28, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Delmon Young should have done what Anne Frank did.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2884)