Apr 27, 2012, 7:45 PM EST
Tigers’ outfielder Delmon Young was arrested early this morning outside the team’s hotel in New York City after allegedly shoving a man to the ground and making anti-Semitic remarks. Young and has attorney have since released statements on the arrest.
According to the Associated Press, here’s the statement from Young:
“I sincerely regret what happened last night. I apologize to everyone I affected, the Ilitch family, the Detroit Tigers’ organization, my teammates, my family, and the great Tigers fans that have supported me since day one. I take this matter very seriously and assure everyone that I will do everything I can to improve myself as a person and player.”
Via Matthew B. Mowery of the Oakland Press, here’s the statement from his attorney, Daniel Ollen:
“I represent Delmon Young with respect to the incident that occurred last night. With this matter now in the legal system, Delmon is unable to make any further statements or discuss this matter in further detail. All future press or investigative inquiries should be directed to me. Let me be clear, there are many false allegations regarding the actions of my client and I am confident that the legal process will separate fact from fiction and discredit these reports.”
The Tigers released the following statement earlier this afternoon:
“We are aware of the situation, however it is our club policy not to comment on pending legal matters. As we understand it, this is an allegation and we need to allow the legal process to take its course. It would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time. Per a provision in the Major League Baseball Basic Agreement, any allegation that involves alcohol is referred to MLB’s Employee Assistance Program.”
Young was not in the starting lineup tonight against the Yankees and it’s not clear when he’ll return to action.
Nov 21, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
She’s just the third woman at the level of vice president or above in baseball operations in major league baseball.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
And they want a lot for him.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Talks haven’t really heated up yet, but catching is scarce so someone will likely go in on Montero.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Throwing problems forced a move away from third base.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:03 AM EST
It’s his fourth straight year helping homeless charities.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Pittsburgh has done great work recently turning around the careers of pitchers.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Not that that necessarily means anything.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Gutierrez posted a 3.96 ERA and 44/16 K/BB ratio in 64 innings.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Charges were dismissed against him in August. It now appears he’s heading for trial.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
Hope this doesn’t bring you down.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
I’d say “back by popular demand,” but I can’t find anyone, anywhere who demanded it.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:04 AM EST
The Dodgers get a potential solution for their setup man woes.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
The White Sox claimed a potentially promising arm in Onelki Garcia on a waiver claim from the Dodgers.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
The Pirates designated Ike Davis for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
The Mariners added some bullpen depth, claiming Edgar Olmos off waivers from the Marlins on Thursday.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:25 PM EST
The Padres and Royals made a trade ahead of the 40-man roster deadline.
Nov 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EST
The Rays are expected to eschew Jose Molina from their 40-man roster ahead of the midnight deadline.
Nov 20, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Jose Canseco made up the whole thing about his reattached finger falling off and wanting to sell it on the Internet.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
The White Sox are apparently one of three teams showing interest in free agent outfielder Melky Cabrera.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The Pirates picked up Pedro Florimon off waivers from the Nationals on Thursday evening.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)