Nick Johnson’s career OBP dips below .400

Apr 27, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Baltimore Orioles infielder Johnson reaches for a grounder during workouts at the team's spring training complex in Sarasota Reuters

I’ll admit, the biggest reason I’m writing this post is because I think it’s kind of neat to be talking about Nick Johnson playing baseball games. He’s done so little of that over the years due to injury and all of that. Kind of a shame given how much promise he once had.

But alas, the playing part isn’t going too well for him. He went 0-for-4 yesterday, which brings him to 0-for-26 on the season. Yikes.

The worst part of it: before the season began he was one of just 10 active hitters with at least 2,500 career plate appearances and an on-base percentage above .400. Thanks to the 0-for-2012, it’s now at .399.

Given that Johnson doesn’t have Hall of Fame debates in his future or anything, a nice spiffy round number on the back of his baseball card woulda been nice.  So for those purely superficial reasons, here’s hoping he gets it back up above .400 before the O’s cut bait on him and/or he gets injured again.

1. contraryguy - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Regarding this and the previous HBT article on Johnson, all I can say is, “I told you so.” Johnson CAN’T HIT; he showed it last year in AAA. Why would he be any better now?

• randomdigits - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM

The theory was that he is healthy now. He certainly does look done.

• bmorelikeme - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Yeah, I think he’s done too, I didn’t mind taking the flyer on him, but I hope management doesn’t drag their feet too much on replacing him. Not that we have many options at Norfolk….

2. atworkident - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM

He better hurry because Brandon Inge batting .100 is looking way more attractive than Nick Johnson batting .000 right now.

• fellspointbird - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I hear that he can play 3rd too

3. aceshigh11 - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM

“…0-for-2012…”

Wow…doesn’t that set some sort of record for the most consecutive at-bats in history without a single hit??

I mean, Jesus…that’s close to THREE FULL SEASONS of playing with ZERO hits.

Ohhhhh…you mean the YEAR 2012…now I see…

4. kjkulsrud - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM

But his creepy mustache has a OBP of AWESOME.

Ace-killer Giants do it again