Apr 27, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
His injury is officially being called a strained forearm and the Padres called up Dale Thayer from Triple-A to take Owings’ spot on the roster and in the bullpen.
Owings has pitched pretty well since moving to the bullpen full time, posting a 3.47 ERA and 51/28 K/BB ratio in 73 innings since the beginning of last season. Despite a .283 batting average and .813 OPS he hasn’t had much of an opportunity to hit lately, totaling just 35 at-bats since 2010.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 8
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 15
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)