Apr 27, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
His injury is officially being called a strained forearm and the Padres called up Dale Thayer from Triple-A to take Owings’ spot on the roster and in the bullpen.
Owings has pitched pretty well since moving to the bullpen full time, posting a 3.47 ERA and 51/28 K/BB ratio in 73 innings since the beginning of last season. Despite a .283 batting average and .813 OPS he hasn’t had much of an opportunity to hit lately, totaling just 35 at-bats since 2010.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)