Pirates’ prospect Josh Bell undergoes knee surgery

Apr 27, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT

Josh Bell

The Pirates broke the bank last August by signing second-rounder Josh Bell for $5 million, but their investment will miss a good chunk of his first pro season.

According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Bell underwent surgery earlier today to repair the meniscus in his left knee. The 19-year-old outfielder suffered the injury while running the bases Tuesday. The timeline for his return isn’t yet clear, but the Pirates expect him to return before the season is over.

Bell slipped to No. 61 overall in the draft last year after telling teams that he planned on honoring his commitment to the University of Texas. However, the Pirates were able to change his mind by giving him a record bonus for a player drafted outside the first round.

Bell was hitting .274/.288/.403 with one homer, 11 RBI and a .691 OPS over 66 plate appearances with Class A West Virginia prior to the injury. Highly regarded for his power potential, he was ranked as the No. 60 prospect in the game by Baseball America in February.

1. redguy12588 - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM

CAN WE GET ONE EFFING BREAK?

JUST ONE?

2. mvpolamalu - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:17 PM

@redguy i feel your pain… I thought we caught a great break when we convinced bell to stay but of course it had to end up wrong

3. randygnyc - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I think the pirates got their big break trading for what was believed to be a washed up AJ Burnett. If he keeps it up though, he’ll be gone again at the trade deadline.

• florida76 - Apr 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Bucs may be players again at the trading deadline, and they did take on a bunch of $$$ in the trade, so you never know. The pitching has been terrific, so it’s possible the club will be in the mix for a winning season. The same people who assume things are the same people who assumed McCutcheon couldn’t be signed to a long term deal.

4. jwbiii - Apr 28, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Meniscus tears can usually be repaired using an arthroscope and minimally invasive surgical techniques. If this was the case for Bell (TFA doesn’t say), he should be “cleared to resume baseball activities” in three weeks and back to full strength in six.

• purnellmeagrejr - Apr 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM

sorry jwbiii – I doubt your medical credentials.

• jwbiii - Apr 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I tore the meniscus in my right knee in 1976. That’s what my surgeon told me and that’s what happened.

5. jriveros08 - May 25, 2012 at 9:57 PM

I played with this kid when we were like 14 years, his dad was always so strict and uptight, always makin him run and do push ups and I remember his dad would yell and discipline him striking out or just making an error. It got to the point where josh wound up completely breaking down crying in the dugout because of his dad, and everybody, including the parents would just turn their heads like your neighbors would and we were kids, just going through puberty, like 13-14 years old I would say. I guess it all worked out fine in the end though seeing as he’s a millionaire now. Anyways, I’d just thought I’d share this because I know this kid will be one of the best if not the best baseball player the world has yet to see

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2920)