Apr 27, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman‘s shoulder injury showed no improvement after a round of batting practice yesterday, so the Nationals third baseman will be examined by a specialist in Los Angeles.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Zimmerman is expected to get a cortisone shot, which typically knocks players out of action for at least 2-3 days, and a disabled list stint seems all but certain at this point.
Zimmerman has already been on the active roster without being available to play for nearly a week, so continuing to play short-handed makes little sense for the Nationals even though manager Davey Johnson stressed that they’re willing to wait because “he’s our best player.”
Zimmerman initially hurt his shoulder making several diving plays last week and told Kilgore that he’d likely “get a shot and play” through the injury if it was September rather than April. Doing that for 4-5 months isn’t really an option and after missing most of last season with an abdominal injury Zimmerman stressed that taking a long-term view of the situation is his priority.
He signed a six-year, $100 million contract extension in February.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)