Apr 27, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT
They’re only in the seventh inning out in Colorado, but Scott Hairston has already hit for the cycle.
Hairston singled in the third, hit a solo homer in the fourth, connected for an RBI triple in the fifth and then hit a two-run double in the sixth. It’s the first cycle of his career and the 10th cycle in Mets’ history. The last Met to do it was Jose Reyes on June 21, 2006.
Hairston’s cycle was somewhat overshadowed by the Rockies plating 11 runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, thanks to four Mets’ errors. The big inning fell one shy of the Rockies’ franchise record (July 30, 2010 against the Cubs) while the 11 runs allowed tied a franchise record for the Mets. Carlos Gonzalez drove in five runs in the frame, via a three-run homer and a two-run single, establishing a new club record. He has six RBI on the night so far.
So yeah, pretty boring game, really.
UPDATE: Hairston finished the day 4-for-5 with a homer, four RBI and three runs scored, but the Rockies routed the Mets 18-9.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (106)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)