Apr 27, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Josh Collmenter‘s grip on a rotation spot has been pretty tenuous since he struggled during spring training and it appears the Diamondbacks are already close to pulling the plug.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said tonight that he is considering other options in place of Collmenter for Monday’s game against the Marlins.
“We may move him to the bullpen,” Gibson said. “We’re considering it. He may not start Monday. We’re considering other options. We’ll probably make a decision by [Saturday].”
Collmenter posted a surprising 3.38 ERA over 154 1/3 innings as a rookie last year, but he has a miserable 9.82 ERA through his first four starts this year. The 26-year-old right-hander was tagged for six runs over six innings in a loss to the Phillies on Tuesday night.
It probably won’t be long before we see 2011 first-round pick Trevor Bauer in the big leagues, but since he just pitched yesterday, he’s not a realistic option to take Collmenter’s place on Monday. However, fellow prospects Patrick Corbin and Tyler Skaggs would be both available on regular rest.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)