Apr 27, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Josh Collmenter‘s grip on a rotation spot has been pretty tenuous since he struggled during spring training and it appears the Diamondbacks are already close to pulling the plug.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said tonight that he is considering other options in place of Collmenter for Monday’s game against the Marlins.
“We may move him to the bullpen,” Gibson said. “We’re considering it. He may not start Monday. We’re considering other options. We’ll probably make a decision by [Saturday].”
Collmenter posted a surprising 3.38 ERA over 154 1/3 innings as a rookie last year, but he has a miserable 9.82 ERA through his first four starts this year. The 26-year-old right-hander was tagged for six runs over six innings in a loss to the Phillies on Tuesday night.
It probably won’t be long before we see 2011 first-round pick Trevor Bauer in the big leagues, but since he just pitched yesterday, he’s not a realistic option to take Collmenter’s place on Monday. However, fellow prospects Patrick Corbin and Tyler Skaggs would be both available on regular rest.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 59
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)