Apr 27, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Josh Collmenter‘s grip on a rotation spot has been pretty tenuous since he struggled during spring training and it appears the Diamondbacks are already close to pulling the plug.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said tonight that he is considering other options in place of Collmenter for Monday’s game against the Marlins.
“We may move him to the bullpen,” Gibson said. “We’re considering it. He may not start Monday. We’re considering other options. We’ll probably make a decision by [Saturday].”
Collmenter posted a surprising 3.38 ERA over 154 1/3 innings as a rookie last year, but he has a miserable 9.82 ERA through his first four starts this year. The 26-year-old right-hander was tagged for six runs over six innings in a loss to the Phillies on Tuesday night.
It probably won’t be long before we see 2011 first-round pick Trevor Bauer in the big leagues, but since he just pitched yesterday, he’s not a realistic option to take Collmenter’s place on Monday. However, fellow prospects Patrick Corbin and Tyler Skaggs would be both available on regular rest.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games