Apr 27, 2012, 9:30 PM EDT
Josh Collmenter‘s grip on a rotation spot has been pretty tenuous since he struggled during spring training and it appears the Diamondbacks are already close to pulling the plug.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said tonight that he is considering other options in place of Collmenter for Monday’s game against the Marlins.
“We may move him to the bullpen,” Gibson said. “We’re considering it. He may not start Monday. We’re considering other options. We’ll probably make a decision by [Saturday].”
Collmenter posted a surprising 3.38 ERA over 154 1/3 innings as a rookie last year, but he has a miserable 9.82 ERA through his first four starts this year. The 26-year-old right-hander was tagged for six runs over six innings in a loss to the Phillies on Tuesday night.
It probably won’t be long before we see 2011 first-round pick Trevor Bauer in the big leagues, but since he just pitched yesterday, he’s not a realistic option to take Collmenter’s place on Monday. However, fellow prospects Patrick Corbin and Tyler Skaggs would be both available on regular rest.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)