Valentine taking heat over his New York radio gig … sorta

Apr 27, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Bobby Valentine Reuters Reuters

We mentioned before the season that Bobby Valentine agreed to do a weekly radio show Michael Kay in New York.  Unusual for a Red Sox manager? Sure. But kinda harmless, yes?

Maybe not says Richard Sandomir of the New York Times. He finds it quite odd, especially in light of the Red Sox’ slow start:

It is impossible to imagine Yankees Manager Joe Girardi, with a blandness that has eclipsed his spontaneity, getting an offer from WEEI or WBZ, the other sports-talk station in Boston. In fact, it is difficult to conceive of any coach or manager or general manager accepting an offer to appear regularly on a radio station in a bitter rival’s media market.

But if you read the article you note that there isn’t anyone complaining about it — or at least noting its irregularity — other than Sandomir.  The closest thing to anyone criticizing it is rival radio hosts — in Boston — wondering if Valentine’s answers to Michael Kay’s questions are better than his answers to their own.

1. crispybasil - Apr 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM

It doesn’t seem to be a problem, though I ingest much less sports radio than I used to. It also helps that Boston’s start to the season was, shall we say, less-than-stellar.

Then again, IIRC, Francona made several appearances on Michael Kay’s show, and we all know what happened to him…

2. buffalomafia - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Wtf! Even though I am a true Yankees fan leave Bobby V alone!

Being on any of Michael Kay’s shows is an honor!

• bbil2012 - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Definitely.I can’t wait for him to have the couple from Texas on the show.

3. charlutes - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Everything Bobby V does seems really dumb to me

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Is this taking away time that should be spent on planning how to win games? I don’t see why Bobby should have a second gig right now.

5. makjak2 - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Valentine said to Kay that he really regrets agreeing to do the show. He never thought the blowback for doing it would be that harsh. I happen to kinda like Valentine but for someone who pegs himself as being so smart, he probably could’ve known that Boston fans would not take kindly to it.

6. mybrunoblog - Apr 27, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Who really gives a damm where Bobby V does radio? People have wayyy toooooo much time on their hands if this bothers them.
    I’m a Yankees fan and I couldn’t care less if Girardi did a radio gig in Boston or in friggen Baghdad for all I care. As long as it doesn’t interfere with his Yankees job.

Let it go people…..

7. bigleagues - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM

As a lifetime RedSox fan who has spent most of his life living in the tall dark shadow on NY sports media, I personally could care less.

In fact, in at least one way I kind of like it. I always found the region-specific programming the talk aspect of any local sports station sort of tedious. If I happen to be flipping around the dial and hit on 1050 when Valentine is on his weekly spot, then I certainly be interested in listening. Otherwise I very seldom have any desire to listen to Kaye’s show.

There are two points that none of the critics (and I agree with Craig almost ALL of them are Boston sports radio hosts) seemingly have considered – at least publicly:

1) This is quite possibly the last MLB job Bobby will ever have. Why shouldn’t Bobby milk this gig for every penny he can? He certainly has very obvious ties to NY. Is it really that big of a stretch that he would do a weekly spot with a NY host he is familiar with? The only reason this has gotten the exposure it has is because its in the context of the Red Sox and Yankees rivalry. Ultimately when Girardi does start appearing on WEEI (out of ratings war desperation) and Matheny begins appearing on Chicago radio; Mattingly on SF radio; Bochy on LA radio, etc . . . Bobby V will again be viewed as a leader . . . an innovator.

Excuse me for a moment while I dig my teeth into this tuna wrap.

2) This is PURE speculation on my part, but I not only believe it to be a likely explanation . . . I believe someday this will be revealed to be the true story behind Valentine/Kaye:

If there is one thing The Trio has been known for since taking ownership is a methodical and innovative approach to maximizing franchise revenues and dramatically elevating the Red Sox national & international profile.

No matter how Mets fans feel about Valentine’s legacy as their manager – he remains a borderline folk hero in Fairfield County (Southwestern Connecticut) – a STAUNCHLY Yankees region of CT.

FC is consistently one of, if not, the wealthiest region of the country – as well as the mostly densely populated region in the state. Fairfield County (which even many CT residents don’t consider part of New England – even though geographically it obviously is) has been the most difficult nut to crack in terms of drawing baseball Fans to Fenway. It’s the only region in CT where Met’s fans out number Red Sox fans.

Lucchino and Werner are constantly looking for ways to increase the franchise profile, thus from a marketing standpoint, it’s no stretch for me to assume that Bobby Valentine’s appearance on ESPN Radio NY is actually the branchild of Red Sox ownership and not necessarily Valentine making this decision unilaterally.

8. bigleagues - Apr 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM

BTW, someone should explain to Sandomir that there are many of who could give a f**k what Tom Yawkey would have thought about anything.

Yawkey was almost certainly a racist – if not an unapologetic bigot. He and his wife Jean were uncreative owners who stagnated and regressed a franchise that could have – should have – been more successful during their family’s interminable reign.

I am one Red Sox fan who believes “Yawkey Way” should be renamed “Henry’s Parade”.

No seriously, I challenge any Red Sox fan to explain to me why Henry’s legacy should take a back seat to any previous ownership. Despite the recent playoff drought, the Henry ownership group is clearly the most successful in the history of the Boston franchise.

9. jimbo1949 - Apr 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Why would anybody be surprised that Valentine would favor being on a radio show at a station that bills itself as 1050 ESPN New York? Perhaps he has left this bridge unburned.

10. petey1999 - Apr 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM

“I agree that it was unusual for Valentine to go on New York radio on a regular basis. But really, does anyone care at all?”

You must care, Craig, or you wouldn’t have passed on yet another irrelevant, immaterial piece on Valentine. Have the strength of your convictions and leave this kind of stuff alone. Write about baseball.

• oldpaddy - Apr 27, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Please don’t feed the trolls.

Orioles turn AL East on its head