Apr 28, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
Brian McCann left last night’s game against the Pirates after five innings with what was described as an intercostal muscle strain in his right side.
McCann missed a little over two weeks last July with a strained left oblique muscle and wasn’t nearly the same player upon his return, but he told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he doesn’t think this injury is as severe. While he’s scheduled to be reevaluated today, he’ll likely sit out the next couple of games.
“Just want to be smart about things and make sure I make this a day or two or three thing instead of a DL stint,” McCann said. “Just precautionary reasons. We wanted to make sure it heals up.”
McCann, 28, is batting .250/.300/.422 with three homers, nine RBI and a .722 OPS over 70 plate appearances this season. Quality backup David Ross will fill in until he is ready to return to the lineup.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 0
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 43
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)