Apr 28, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
Brian McCann left last night’s game against the Pirates after five innings with what was described as an intercostal muscle strain in his right side.
McCann missed a little over two weeks last July with a strained left oblique muscle and wasn’t nearly the same player upon his return, but he told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he doesn’t think this injury is as severe. While he’s scheduled to be reevaluated today, he’ll likely sit out the next couple of games.
“Just want to be smart about things and make sure I make this a day or two or three thing instead of a DL stint,” McCann said. “Just precautionary reasons. We wanted to make sure it heals up.”
McCann, 28, is batting .250/.300/.422 with three homers, nine RBI and a .722 OPS over 70 plate appearances this season. Quality backup David Ross will fill in until he is ready to return to the lineup.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 24
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)