Apr 28, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT
Brian McCann left last night’s game against the Pirates after five innings with what was described as an intercostal muscle strain in his right side.
McCann missed a little over two weeks last July with a strained left oblique muscle and wasn’t nearly the same player upon his return, but he told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he doesn’t think this injury is as severe. While he’s scheduled to be reevaluated today, he’ll likely sit out the next couple of games.
“Just want to be smart about things and make sure I make this a day or two or three thing instead of a DL stint,” McCann said. “Just precautionary reasons. We wanted to make sure it heals up.”
McCann, 28, is batting .250/.300/.422 with three homers, nine RBI and a .722 OPS over 70 plate appearances this season. Quality backup David Ross will fill in until he is ready to return to the lineup.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)