Apr 28, 2012, 9:27 AM EDT
Jeremy Guthrie was originally scheduled to start tonight against the Mets, but he’s now headed to the 15-day disabled list after spraining his right shoulder in a freak bicycle accident yesterday.
Guthrie, an avid cyclist, told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that the injury occurred when the chain on his bicycle broke and sent him slamming down into the ground.
“It was a kind of a freak accident. Most of the contact was on my elbow and it kind of jammed my shoulder. I just have some pain, and when that goes away. I would assume yes I will be healthy in 15 days,” Guthrie said after Friday’s game. “It wasn’t like wheel slipped out. I was just riding and the next thing I know I was on the ground.”
Guthrie will be eligible to return from the disabled list as soon as May 8, so he may only miss a couple turns in the rotation. Guillermo Moscoso will be called up from Triple-A Colorado Springs to start in his place tonight against the Mets.
Guthrie, who was acquired from the Orioles in early February for right-handers Jason Hammel and Matt Lindstrom, has a 5.92 ERA and 5/10 K/BB ratio across 24 1/3 innings in his first four starts this season.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires