Apr 28, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
The Angels have dropped five straight games and currently sit in last place in the American League West with a 6-14 record, so they are hoping the newly-promoted Mike Trout can provide a much-needed spark for their lineup.
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, Trout will bat leadoff and play left field this afternoon against the Indians. Peter Bourjos will make the start in center field while Vernon Wells is out of the lineup. The Angels didn’t call up Trout to sit on the bench, so his playing time figures to come at the expense of either Wells or Bourjos on most days. Mark Trumbo will make the start at third base this afternoon.
The comparisons to Nationals’ outfielder Bryce Harper are only natural and hopefully they’ll continue for the next 15-20 years, but Trout is probably the better bet to succeed in 2012. The 20-year-old already had 135 plate appearances in the majors last year and while Harper was merely holding his own against Triple-A pitching prior to his promotion, Trout was hitting .403/.467/.623 with ten extra-base hits (one homer), 13 RBI, six stolen bases and a 1.091 OPS with Salt Lake.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)