Apr 28, 2012, 9:05 PM EDT
Hey, it’s positive Ryan Howard health news!
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, the 32-year-old first baseman has been cleared for baseball activities and will report to the Phillies’ spring training complex in Clearwater, Florida on Monday morning to begin daily workouts.
He will begin by fielding ground balls and playing catch before progressing to hitting and base-running.
Howard underwent surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon in October, then had a follow-up procedure in February to clear out an infection that had formed around his surgical wound.
Salisbury calls June a “safe, albeit broad, outside estimate” for the slugger’s return to major league action.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)