Apr 28, 2012, 10:51 AM EST
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the Tigers have placed outfielder Delmon Young on the restricted list. Danny Worth has been recalled from Triple-A Toledo and will take his place on the active roster.
Young was arrested early Friday morning outside the team’s hotel in New York City after allegedly shoving a man to the ground and making anti-Semitic remarks. The 26-year-old was formally arraigned with a hate-crime harassment charge. He was held out of the Tigers’ starting lineup last night for the first game of a weekend series against the Yankees.
Young is hitting .242/.311/.333 with one home run, five RBI and a .644 OPS over his first 74 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $6.75 million in 2012, but he won’t be paid while he’s on the restricted list.
UPDATE: Lynn Henning of the Detroit News passes along word that Young will remain on the restricted list until at least next week while legal issues are being sorted out. He also notes that because of language introduced after the John Rocker situation, Young’s contract could potentially be voided if a hate-crime did take place.
UPDATE II: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Young will be paid while he’s on the restricted list.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)