Apr 28, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the Tigers have placed outfielder Delmon Young on the restricted list. Danny Worth has been recalled from Triple-A Toledo and will take his place on the active roster.
Young was arrested early Friday morning outside the team’s hotel in New York City after allegedly shoving a man to the ground and making anti-Semitic remarks. The 26-year-old was formally arraigned with a hate-crime harassment charge. He was held out of the Tigers’ starting lineup last night for the first game of a weekend series against the Yankees.
Young is hitting .242/.311/.333 with one home run, five RBI and a .644 OPS over his first 74 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $6.75 million in 2012, but he won’t be paid while he’s on the restricted list.
UPDATE: Lynn Henning of the Detroit News passes along word that Young will remain on the restricted list until at least next week while legal issues are being sorted out. He also notes that because of language introduced after the John Rocker situation, Young’s contract could potentially be voided if a hate-crime did take place.
UPDATE II: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Young will be paid while he’s on the restricted list.
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 3
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 20
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 26
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 17
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 59
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 43
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)