Apr 28, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the Tigers have placed outfielder Delmon Young on the restricted list. Danny Worth has been recalled from Triple-A Toledo and will take his place on the active roster.
Young was arrested early Friday morning outside the team’s hotel in New York City after allegedly shoving a man to the ground and making anti-Semitic remarks. The 26-year-old was formally arraigned with a hate-crime harassment charge. He was held out of the Tigers’ starting lineup last night for the first game of a weekend series against the Yankees.
Young is hitting .242/.311/.333 with one home run, five RBI and a .644 OPS over his first 74 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $6.75 million in 2012, but he won’t be paid while he’s on the restricted list.
UPDATE: Lynn Henning of the Detroit News passes along word that Young will remain on the restricted list until at least next week while legal issues are being sorted out. He also notes that because of language introduced after the John Rocker situation, Young’s contract could potentially be voided if a hate-crime did take place.
UPDATE II: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Young will be paid while he’s on the restricted list.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)