Apr 28, 2012, 10:51 AM EDT
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the Tigers have placed outfielder Delmon Young on the restricted list. Danny Worth has been recalled from Triple-A Toledo and will take his place on the active roster.
Young was arrested early Friday morning outside the team’s hotel in New York City after allegedly shoving a man to the ground and making anti-Semitic remarks. The 26-year-old was formally arraigned with a hate-crime harassment charge. He was held out of the Tigers’ starting lineup last night for the first game of a weekend series against the Yankees.
Young is hitting .242/.311/.333 with one home run, five RBI and a .644 OPS over his first 74 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $6.75 million in 2012, but he won’t be paid while he’s on the restricted list.
UPDATE: Lynn Henning of the Detroit News passes along word that Young will remain on the restricted list until at least next week while legal issues are being sorted out. He also notes that because of language introduced after the John Rocker situation, Young’s contract could potentially be voided if a hate-crime did take place.
UPDATE II: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Young will be paid while he’s on the restricted list.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 33
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 71
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (189)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)