Apr 28, 2012, 10:51 AM EST
Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the Tigers have placed outfielder Delmon Young on the restricted list. Danny Worth has been recalled from Triple-A Toledo and will take his place on the active roster.
Young was arrested early Friday morning outside the team’s hotel in New York City after allegedly shoving a man to the ground and making anti-Semitic remarks. The 26-year-old was formally arraigned with a hate-crime harassment charge. He was held out of the Tigers’ starting lineup last night for the first game of a weekend series against the Yankees.
Young is hitting .242/.311/.333 with one home run, five RBI and a .644 OPS over his first 74 plate appearances this season. He is under contract for $6.75 million in 2012, but he won’t be paid while he’s on the restricted list.
UPDATE: Lynn Henning of the Detroit News passes along word that Young will remain on the restricted list until at least next week while legal issues are being sorted out. He also notes that because of language introduced after the John Rocker situation, Young’s contract could potentially be voided if a hate-crime did take place.
UPDATE II: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Young will be paid while he’s on the restricted list.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 13
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)